Image provided by: University of Nebraska-Lincoln Libraries, Lincoln, NE
About The courier. (Lincoln, Neb.) 1894-1903 | View Entire Issue (June 22, 1901)
Powered by OpenONI
T5he Ivy Press
EMBO S S ING
125-127 Nortrt Twelfth Street
A Western Printing Place where you can tfet what you want when you want It
Daintily gotten up Booklets and all kinds of Weddlntf
Stationery and Calling Cards are Specialties V V
LESH . LEMON
4 : - mm
SHERIDAN COAL . .
HAS NO EQTTAr,.
LANDY CLARK, Agent.
Office, llOO O St. Tel. IOCS.
Ladies . . .
IPhta you buy a Skirt or a Suit or a
vist. FIT; sa. STYLE;
4th, Where you can get the best for the
least money. You can get all of these at
!416FarnamSt. : : OMAHA, NEBR
will store your furs and
insure them against fire,
water and moths.
143 $0.121181. UHOU NEBR
Meals on Time
NAND SAVES .--d
Should be selected with the
utmost care. The comfort
and proper support of a child's
foot is of great importance.
Our stock is full of the best
styles and the best makes
the selection of just the right
shoe is a very easy matter.
They are easy to pay for, too.
PERKINS & SHELDON
US& O Street.
One of the most beautiful weddings
ever Been in Lincoln took place on Wed
nesday evening, when Miss Carrie Clif
ton Dennis was united in marriage to
Mr. John Samuel Reed. The ceremony
was performed in the First Congrega
tional church, which was elaborately
decorated for the occasion by members
of the Delta Gamma fraternity. Tropi
cal palms and gorgeous American beau
ty roses formed an effective Bcreen for
the organ; over each of the Bide aisles
was an arch of smilax ornamented with
bunches of American beauty roses tied
with broad, rose-colored ribbons, while
the seats for the family in the centre
aisle were marked by the same beauti
ful flowere. Candles in groups of seven
gave a subdued light during the cere
mony, which was performed by the
Reverend Lewis Gregory, former pastor
of both bride and groom, assisted by
Reverend W. n. Manes. Members of
the Delta Gamma fraternity were seat
ed in a body near the front of the
church. While the guests were assem
bling the following organ numbers were
played by Miss Stella Rice:
Spring song, Mendelssohn.
"Rustic March," Fumafalli.
"Love Song," Nevin.
"Return of the Reapers," Grieg.
The ushers, Messrs. Butler, Joyce,
Honeywell, C Y. Smith, McCreery,
Bartlett, Korsmeyer and Marlay, en
tered to the strains of the march from
Lohengrin. Next came the matron of
honor, Mrs. Mary Dennis Manning,
gowned in steel blue silk with diamond
ornaments and a white picture hat with
white plumes. She was followed by the
maid of honor, Miss Wing, whose gown
was of rose-colored Bilk tissue. She
wore an artistic Gainsborough bat with
trimmings of black plumes and pink
roses. Next came the bride in an ex
quisite gown of embroidered white
crepe, with yoke and sleeves of open
silk embroidery. Her veil was of tulle,
and was fastened with a sunburst of
diamonds and pearls, the gift of the
groom. She carried a shower bouquet
of lilies-of-the-valley. She was accom
panied by Mr. W. B. Wilson, who gave
her away, and waB met at the chancel
by the groom and his best man, Mr. W.
Dickey Reed. After the ceremony the
bridal party left the church to the
strains of the familiar Mendelssohn
march and went to the home of Mr. and
Mrs. A. J. Sawyer where a reception
was given by members of the library
board. The house was a bower of roses.
The guests were admitted at the door
by little Margaret Wheeler, and were
received in the parIor3 by Mr. and Mrs.
Sawyer, Mr. and Mrs. Reed, Mrs. Mary
Reed, mother of the groom, Mrs. Man
ning, Mr. C. H. Gere, president, and Mr.
C. D. Hyatt, secretary of the library
board, assisted by the following mem
bers of the board and their wives: Mr.
and Mrs. C. H. Gere, Mr. and M. H. T.
Dobbins, Mr. and Mrs. H. M. Bushnell
Mr. and Mrs. Barr, Mre. H. H. Wheel
er, Mrs. A. S. Raymond, Mrs. L. C.
Richards, Messrs. Geisthardt and
Hyatt. MeBdamea H. H. Wilson, Hen
ry Lewis, E, T.Hartley, S. B. Pound,
M. L. Doty and Doctor Inez Phiibrick,
all of whom have been connected with
the library board at some period of Miss
Dennis' service as librarian, assisted in
the entertainment of the guests. The
dining room decorations were in green
and white. A beautiful wedding bell
of bride roses and white carnations with
a calla lily for a clapper, was bung above
the table. Fern leaves and white roses
formed the table decorations, with white
candles in crystal candlesticks for light.
Ices and cake were served by Miss
Mariel Gere and Miss Helen Harwood,
assisted by Misses Mabel Richards, El
len Gere, Frances Gere, Ruth Raymond,
Helen Wilson, Louise Pound, Olivia
Pound, and Misses Abbott, Gahao,
Palmer and Horn from the city library.
Mr. and Mrs. Reed will visit Yellowstono
Park and spend a mouth on the Pacific
coast, after which they will be at home
at 1237 C street.
Married, on Thursday evening, June
20, at the residence of the bride's pa
rents, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Hammond,
Miss Maude Hammond to Mr. Allen
Clemence Fling, by the Rev. Francis W.
Eason, rector of Holy Trinity. Just
before the service Mrs. Jones played
Grieg's "Bridal Procession" and a noc
turne by Sgambati, gliding into the
Lohengrin as the wedding party ent
ered the east drawing room, where the
bride and groom and the clergyman
stood during the ceremony. Mies Clara
Hammond was maid of honor and Prof.
F. M. Fling was groomsman. The bride's
gown is an exquisite piece of lace over
liberty satin, trimmed with chiffon. Sho
wore a veil and carried bride roses. Miss
Clara was in white Swiss and carried
bridesmaid roses. Katharine Manahan
carried the ring in a calla lily.
A brilliant reception to nearly three
hundred of the friends of the groom and
bride and family followed the ceremony.
The guests were received by the bride
and groom, Mr. and Mrs. Hammond
and Prof, and Mrs. Fling. Set and
hung about with the flowers of Juno
and the indispecsible palm, the stately
Hammond homestead waa an exquisite
Betting for the wedding fete. The wido
verandas were wound in asparagus and
sentinel palms stood en grande. Punch
was served in the upper hall and ice
cream and cake in the dining room.
The decorations of the .refreshment
rooms were pink and white. Misses
Xatherine Weston, Mariel Gere, Stella
Kirker, Charlotte Clark, Gertrude
Mareland, Maude Risser, Anna Tibbets,
Mary Tremain, Flora Bullock, Anno
Barr, Mrs. George Meissner and Mrs.
Frank Fisher were in pink and white
gowns and served i:es and cake. t
Mr. and Mrs. Fling were graduated at
the the Nebraska state University in '94
ard have since taken the degree of
master of arts in the classic department.
They are both Phi Beta Kappas. Mrs.
Fling spent two years at Yale studying
for another degree and then taught for
two years in the Lincoln high school,
The groom has been connected with tbo
Nebraska City Bchools for six years, and
for three years has been superintendent.
He is a member of Pei Upsilon fraternity.
Mr. and Mrs. Fling will spend tho
summer in the east, arriving in Nebras
ka City about the first of September.
One of the June weddings around
which great interest has been centered
was that of Miss Kate Snow Walker
and Mr. Bert Wayland Johnson of To
ledo, Ohio. The ceremony was per
formed by Rev. C. E. Bentley Tuesday
noon at the home of the bride's parents,
Mr. and Mrs. C. H. Walker, 1W2 M.
street. Palms, carnations and roses