Image provided by: University of Nebraska-Lincoln Libraries, Lincoln, NE
About The courier. (Lincoln, Neb.) 1894-1903 | View Entire Issue (June 14, 1902)
j . i '4 .
VOL. XVIII, NO. XXIII
LINCOLN, NEBRASKA, SATURDAY, JUNE 14, 1902.
ESTABLISHED IN ISSti
SHAFT IN HONOR OF SOLDIER DEAD
Monument Unveiled at WyuKa by Veterans of the Grand Army
in Lincoln and Dedicated to
Heroic Comrades Whose Hands Are Folded in Eternal Sleep
' Vf wrBa v r'" JEsHuKfxfTE- wfAHs m
As a tribute to the veterans of the civil war, a monument designed by Comrade Joseph Barwlck, has been
unveiled at Wyuka cemetery and dedicated to the memory of the boys In blue who fought for the perpetuation of
The formal dedication of this contribution, for the expenses of the monument were defrayed by comrades of
the G. A. R. and by private donations formed one of the striking features of the exercises last Memorial day.
The model for the monument was evolved by Joseph Barwlck. Bedford, Indiana, stone Is the material out of
which the upper portion of the monument has been chiselled. The base is Wnrrensburg. Missouri, sandstone.
The height above the base is twelve feet.
A figure In campaign uniform with broad brimmed hat and the suit of a soldier in the field Is represented
standing at parade rest. The figure has been designed to portray the private as he looked before going Into
battle or while on the lookout against the enemy. ,
The inscription on the front of the monument reads:
"On Fame's eternal camping gi ounds, A
; Their silent tents are spread.
And glory guards in solemn rounds.
The bivouac of the dead."
On the east side the letters "G. A. ft." have been chiselled. "The soldiers of 1SCI to 1SG3" is the inscription
on the west side of the monument.
The work on the figure was done in the establishment of Mr. Barwlck. From the best of material the design
was transformed into the monument as it now stands in the cemetery. It is located in the G. A. R. section of
Wyuka in the center of the plot set aside for the burial place of veterans who have been Interred by their com
rades. The monument contributes in a marked degree to the beauty and impressiveness of the scene in the G. A. R.
section of Wyuka and the idea has received warm praise from the comrades and the funds needed for Its erec
tion were easily and quickly raised.
Powered by Open ONI