Image provided by: University of Nebraska-Lincoln Libraries, Lincoln, NE
About Omaha daily bee. (Omaha [Neb.]) 187?-1922 | View Entire Issue (April 1, 1917)
-HE OMAHA SUNDAY BEE: APRIL I, 1917.
Semi-Centennial of the First Christian
Church is to Be Celebrated This Week
Last fifty Yean Will Be Se
viewed in Program of
HISTORY OF THE OITOOH
The First Christian church, Twenty-sixth
and Harney streets, will ob
serve its semi-centennial on Wednes
day, Thursday and Friday of this
week and next Sunday, reviewing the
last fifty years with a four days' pro
gram. The semi-centennial program
will start Wednesday evening at 7:45
o'clock, W. W. Slabaugh presiding.
This is to be a praise and prayer
service, one of the features to be a
roll call of the present membership
prior to 1900. There will be an ad
dress on the subject, "Purpose and
Object of Celebration," and a fellow
An afternoon session will be held
Thursday at 2:30 o'clock. Mrs. E. G.
Jones is to preside and talk on "The
Part Women Have Had in the
Work." Others will talk on "Remi
niscences" and "The Outlook." The
evening session will start at 8 o'clock,
L. W. Smith presiding. There is to
be special music by the choir and an
address, "Fifty Years' Growth in the
Brotherhood," by Rev. A. D. Harman,
dean of Cotner university, and a for
mer pastor. Other addresses will be
made by Rev. George L. Peters, pas
tor of the North Side church, and
Rev. John A. Albers, pastor of the
South Side church.
Banquet Friday Evening.
A banquet is scheduled for Friday
evening at 6 o'clock. J. H. Taylor
will be toastmaster, with responses
from the representatives of the Chris
tian churches of Doughs county. The
evening session is to start at 8
o'clock, Charles Musselman presid
ing. This will be known as fraternal
night, short talks to be made by sev
eral pastors of the city. State Secre
tary William Oeschger of Bethany,
Neb., will deliver an address on the
subject, "Fifty Years' Growth of the
Brotherhood in Nebraska."
The morning session next Sunday
will start at 9:45 o'clock with the
Bible school. J. R. Cain, jr., is to
preside. At the regular church serv
ice at 11 o'clock the pastor, Rev.
Charles C. Cobbey, will preach a ser
mon on the subject, "A Program of
The pastor will preside at the after
noon session at 3 o'clock. There will
be a discussion of the future program
of the church in terms of the Bible
school, morning worship, Junior
Christian Endeavor, Young People's
Society Christian Endeavor, Earnest
Worker, Christian Women's Board
of Missions, prayer meetings and mis
sions. Evening services will be held at
7:45 o'clock. There is to be a vesper
service by the choir and short talks
and special invitations extended to
join the church.
History of the Church.
The history of the First Christian
church dates back to 1854, when
' Richard Brown organized the village
of Brownsville. The same year and
shortly afterward Rev. Joel Wood
came to the village. Both jvere
staunch disciples, the tatter an able
preacher. In January, 1855, they or
ganized the first church of any de
nomination in the territory of Ne
braska. They were both members of
1 the first territorial assembly, which
met in Omaha in the winter of 1854
and 1855. Rev. Wood preached in
Omaha during the session. Ziba
Brown, an Iowa preacher, preached
In the fall of 1861 Dungan and
Denton held a meeting in a store
room on Douglas street, where they
had five baptisms. A small organi
zation was effected, but the Iowa aid
and co-operation ceased about that
time and the weak churches shortly
thereafter languished and disbanded.
Charles P. Evans of Iowa, who was
educated at Hiram, O., preached at
various times in 1862 and 1863.
D. R. Dungan, who had much to do
with the organization of the early
churches in Nebraska, was appointed
as missionary to Nebraska by the
American Christian Missionary so
ciety in Cincinnati, O., in 1864. He
succeeded J. F. Berry of Washington,
III., the first appointee, who remained
but a very short time. These ap
pointments came from a petition to
the society by five Nebraska churches
meeting at Rock Bluffs, Cass county.
Dungan was then teaching and
preaching in Plattsmouth and vicin
ity. First Church Organized.
G. R. Hand of Missouri in 1864 and
1865 preached in the Congregational
church in Omaha. In 1867 Dr. Dun
san. then chaplain of the third session
if the Nebraska state legislature, and
the last session in Omaha, organized
the First church during that session,
when one-half a lot was bought on
he suth side of Harney street be
tween Fourteenth and Fifteenth
r streets. Governor Saunders gave an
Dther one-half lot adjacent to it and
also gave $800. Milo Hunt gave an
other $800. With these sums and
other subscriptions and the aid of the
American Missionary society a church
was erected on the lot. The house
was dedicated by N. A. McConnell
and the membership reorganized on
December 12, 1867.
Mr. Dungan was chosen chaplain
of the Nebraska senate in its first ses
sion at Lincoln. He officiated as
chaplain when the corner stone of the
capttol was laid. In the winter of
I860 and 1861 Israel Swihart and W.
A. Denton organized a church at De
Sota, then a prominent village twenty
miles north of Omaha. No trace of
the village exists today.
Churches Are Established.
The brethren in western Iowa
worked hard to establish churches in
ehraska and in 1861 C. P. Evans.
D. R. Dungan and W. A. Denton
preached in the vicinity about Omaha,
which then was a very small place.
They established churches at Papil
lion Creek, Fontenelle and Ireland's
Grove and preached at Bellevue and
The first church home was on the
south side of Harney street between
Fourteenth and Fifteenth streets;
next on the east side of Seventeenth
street, where the postoffice now
stands; then on the southwest corner
of Twentieth and Farnam streets;
then on the southeast corner of Twen
tieth street and Capitol avenue. After
the collapsing of the church at the
last named place, because of the large
audience gathered in it, the time of
the national convention of the church
in 1902, the brethren met at various
places in the city, including the
Schlitz building, Sixteenth and Har
ney streets; Patterson block, Seven
teenth and Douglas streets, and in a
hall on the north side of Harney
street between Eighteenth and Nine
teenth streets. The next church
home was the tabernacle on Nine
teenth street between Farnam and
Harney streets. The present beautiful
church is located at Twenty-sixth
and Harney streets.
Pastors Since Organization.
The pastors after the organization
of 1867 have been as follows: D. R.
Dungan, 1867; John W. Allen, 1870
to 1873; (his wife dying, he resigned,
and no regular pastor was employed
until 1878, in the meantime prayer
meeting and communion services
being held in the home of Mrs. W.
A. Stephens); J. W. Ingram, 1878
to 1883; D. R. Lucas, until 1884; R. H.
Ingram until 1886; J. H. Foye, until
1888; C. B. Newman in 1888; A. Mar
tin, until 1890; T. E. Cramblett, until
1896; J. M. Vawtcr. until 1898; D.
D. Burt, until 1900; S. T. Martin, un
til 1902; Harry G. Hill, until 1904;
S. D. Dutcher, until 1908; J. M. Ker
sey, until 1912; A. D. Harmon, 1912
and 1913; C. E. Cobbey, who came
in 1914, is the present pastor.
The two oldest pastors and those
who had the most to do with the
early work of the church here in
the '50s and early '60s, are now
living, Charles P. Evans at Arapa
hoe, Neb., and D. R. Dungan at Glen
dale, Ca. The wife of the former
died a few weeks ago, and the latter,
while on a trip to Honolulu recently,
suffered trie fracture of his right hip.
Both are vigorous in mind and body.
The records show that in 1867 the
following were members of the First
Gov. Alvin Saunders
It. I. Stephens
Samuel D. Mercer
Mrs. Win, Stephens
Oscar P. Stephens
Mrs. Milan Hunt
Mrs. Phehe VanCamp Ira Van Camp
Mrs. Piatt Saunders Piatt Saunders
Anna Wilcox Luara Saunders
Mary Intta Sarah J. Tuttte
Joseph W, Rogers Mary Whlpp
Mrs. Buckner Eva L. Brlacos
Tanks Stick to Drill.
While the dally military drill has bern
discarded by several blfr league teams, the
New York Yankees still stick to the war
same. The Ban Johnson 1 500 prize for the
beat drilled ball team looks good to the
The first building of the Christian
church was constructed in 1868 and
was remodeled in 1911. In later years
it was used by Watson Bros, as a
Staggered Door Type Sedan
The Willys-Overland company of
Toledo, O., is now building a stag-gered-door
type of convertible sedan
body on its Willys-Knight Four
The doors in this type of body tre
placed so that the entrance U. the
passengers is located in the middle of
the car on the right side, giving the
passengers an unobstructed passage
way to their seats.
The driver's door, however, Is at
the front of the ear, on the left side,
so that he interferes with no one
when he enters or leaves the auto
mobile. High Powered Motor
For Aircraft is Ready
The 200 horse power aircraft motor i
which the Packard company has been
developing in the last two years is
about ready to take night, ine pro
cess of installing the engine in spe
cially constructed planes is now go
ing on rapidly and the first ascension
probably will be witnessed within a
Final work on the motor has been
hastened by developments in the in
ternational situation that may create
an urgent need tor aircraft in Amer-
3 1 T
(. U. S. Pat. Oft.
Here is the big, powerful Acme the truck that
effectively cuts all haulage costs. Proved units,
such as Continental Motor, Timken Axles, Bearings
and Worm Drive, Detroit Springs, etc., plus Acme
in-built quality, mean tremendous strength and
economy in gasoline and oil.
Phone Today for
We will show you
how service is built
into every Acme
Truck, Let us prove
We want to demon
strate. A phone call
Write for Free
Vital truck facts are
yours for the asking.
Here is a valuable book
vv i i L e lug y
Cadillac Au- Tt
to Truck Co., vftJ
Mich., for 1
your copy. LwJ
ACME AUTO TRUCK SALES CO.
J. McWhiney, Mgr.
1015 Park Avenue, Phone Harney 3195.
' ' " 1 -. -
Club To Open Season
With Bennington Run
The Omaha Motorcycle club will
officially open the motorcycle riding
season by a club run to Bennington
this afternoon. The run will start
from the club's headquarters in the
Crounse block, Sixteenth and Cap
itol avenue, at 2:30 p. m. Ross Dristy,
road captain of the club, will take
charge of the run. All motorcycle
riders are invited to take part in the
run and are requested to be at the
starting place at 2:15 p. m.
Flames Fail to Hinder
Cole Production at All
The advantages of the modern fac
tory production efficiency methods in
case of fire were demonstrated in
connection with a tire which broke
out in the temporary finishing room
of the Col Motor Cai company of
Indianapolis a short time ago says
L. H. DeBrown, distributor of Cole
cars. In spite of the threatened seri
ous nature of the blaze, the loss was
confined to about $10,000, covered by
insurance, and the production of Cole
Eights was not delayed one minute.
The fire was first discovered by the
night shift. By use of a special noti
fication system every department
head in both the office and factory
was on the ground within a few min
utes. Before they arrived, however,
the flames were well under control.
The damage itself consisted largely
in the burning of about thirty bodies
of what is known as reserve stock.
tven while the firemen were fight
ing the blaze the foreman of the fin
ishing room had a squad of men
erecting other finishing quarters on
the fourth floor. When the morning
crew came on duty Friday they
found a complete finishing depart
ment ready for them and production
going on just as though no fire had
The burned portion of the building
was repaired and in working condi
tion by Saturday.
Cost of Touring May
Be Easily Reduced
Spring and summer touring which
reached its height of popularity last
season, on account of the -essation of
foreign travel, proba ly will be even
more gen:ral throughout the country
this year, according to the Murphy-
OU.ien Auto company, the Dodge
Brothers dialer in lis city. The ex
tensive travel by motor car, they say,
is due to several causes, principal
among these being the ideal recrea
tion afforded. J he low cot ot run
ning expenses also is an importa t
"Undoubtidy many more car own
ers would spend a week or two on the
road each year if they paused to real
ize liuw easy it is to cut the expenses
of such trips down almost to the mere
cost of gasoline. A small equipment
will do it, and at the same c M
to the pleasures of the tour, because
it gives the motorists exact!; what
they seek most in starting life out
ors. I have in mind a camp LUtfit
and a few cooking utensils. We could
cite you innumerable Instances of de
lightful travel in this fashion."
Persistent Advertising Is the Road
The most economical cars for their
power built in America, yet offering the
utmost in luxury and riding comfort.
The King was the first moderate-priced
"Eight" on the market and is now oper
ating in greater numbers the world
over than any other eight-cylinder car
except one. The powerful model EE chassis
for which there are four handsome body
styles has a 60 Horse Power V-type engine
and a wheelbase of 120 inches, proven by
gruelling official stock car tests as well as
being in constant service throughout Amer
ica, and in forty-nine foreign lands. Each
body style provides generous storage space
and all King cars are equipped in every detail.
TM-MnnerTouingCarllSSS i-pauenger Roaditer J1S8S
s-paitengtr Foursome - $1585 7-pauenger Sedan $2150
rrkoF.O. B. Dwralt. Tfli. Wtnl. 1100 n
Wt cannot guaranty that Hum pneu will noi dunt
Noyes-Killy Motor Co. J
2066-68 Farnam Street.
YES, a MONOPOLY in
BUT NOTE HOW WE EMPLOY IT '
It is true, as some say, that the Super-Six motor consti
tutes a Hudson monopoly. We control it by patents. One
must buy a Hudson to get it But note how far the
Super-Six undersells many cars which it out-perform.
We must expect that every possible argu
ment will be used against the Super-Six.
The arguments used a year ago have all
been disproved and abandoned. Over 28,000
Super-Six owners have proved every suspicion
Now some say, "We also have an improved
Six." Some argue Eights and Twelves. And
some reflect on the Super-Six monopoly.
Mark the Hudson Value
But remember that Hudson has won by per
formance the pinnacle place in Motordom.
The Super-Six motor has added 80 per cent
to the car's efficiency.
It has proved an endurance which is yet be
yond measure probably a doubled endur
ance. Against all other types, however costly, it
has won all the worth-while stock-car records.
And a year has been spent to make this car,
in every detail, worthy of its front-rank place.
Yet note how many rivals all without the
Super-Six motor sell above the Hudson price.
Every buyer of the Hudson Super-Six gets a
value of performance which can't be matched.
Why Another Type?
Then why consider another type of motor in
buying a high-grade car?
Not because of performance. The records of
the Super-Six prove it supreme in that.
Not because of endurance. The Super-Six
excelled as high as 52 per cent in the feats
which prove that.
Not because bf smoothness. The whole
Super-Six supremacy comes through minimiz
Not because of anything. If any other motor
type were better, don't you know that Hudson
would adopt it? Rival types are not controlled
The Friction Questran
The only question is, what motor best re
duces friction? For that is the aim of all.
It is motor friction that wastes power, that
limits performance and that causes wear.
Friction was the limitation of the old-type
Six. Friction caused the trend toward Eights
and Twelves. And the solution of this prob
lem is what stopped that trend. The Super
Six invention, by reducing friction almost to
nil, gave the crown to a new-type Six.
It isn't speed, or power, or hill-climbing
ability which makes the Super-Six supreme.
It is endurance, due to lack of friction. That
is what won those records. If that is important
the Super-Six is important.
A New Gasoline Saver
The latest Hudsons have a new gasoline
saver which adds greatly to their economy.
They have bodies which show our final attain
ment in beauty, finish and luxury.
To own a Hudson Super-Six means to rule
the road. And this car, in any crowd, looks
the monarch that it is.
Phaeton, 7-pattenger. . . .$1650
Cabriolet, 3-passenger. . . 1950
Touring Sedan 217S
Prices f. o. b. Detroit . . .
Town Car $2928
Town Car Landaulet. . . . 302S
Limousine Lendaulet. ., . 302S
HUDSON MOTOR CAR CO., DETROIT, MICH.
GUY L. SMITH
2563-65-67 Farnam St., Omaha.
Open Evenings Until Nine.
Phone Douglas 1970.
Powered by Open ONI