Image provided by: University of Nebraska-Lincoln Libraries, Lincoln, NE
About Hesperian student / (Lincoln [Neb.]) 1872-1885 | View Entire Issue (Oct. 1, 1890)
The following promotions and appointments were made
Monday evening September the 29 to take effect from date.
Company A, captain, E. P. Brown; lieutenant, A. C. Cope;
sergeants, G. L. Sheldon, L. II. Cornell, V. C. Dorscy, L. E.
Troycr; corporals, Paul Pizcy, W. A. Richmond, J. P. Wil
liams. Company B, captain, J. V. McCrosky; lieutenant, C.
ft. Schell; sergeants, II. J, Edmiston, II. A. Scntcr, T.
Uruggcr and F. ft. Eager; corporals, Fred Gund, and F. I
Tucker. Company C, captain ft. A. Haggard; lieutenant,
Paul Hibbard: sergeants, C. D. Chandler, W. L. Stockton
G. L. Tait, and Rupert Dingcs; corporals, W. II. Sawyer
and II. J. Podlcsack. Company D, captain, II. A. Rccsc;
lieutenant W, T. Brown; sergeants, J. A. llarklcy, E. E.
Nicholson, E. M. Pollaid, Hurt Bouncll; corporal, Chris
tian Rohcr, R. S. Bulla and Williams. Stiff officers:
C. C. Fletcher, lieutenant and acting adjutant; G. P. Thur
ber, first lieutenant and quartermaster; F.D. Hyde, sergeant
major; M. M. Maghcc, color sargeaut. Men detailed to drill
the awkwark squad were Sargcant-Major F. D. Hyde and
sageants II. A. Scntcr and E. M. Pollard.
AT HYMEN'S ALTER.
On the 25 of June Professor Caldwell was married to Miss
Lisbcth A. Barnes at Baltimore, Md., The Professor and
Mrs. Caldwell spent about two weeks in Springfield, Mass.,
visiting friends and relatives, from there they went to Belle
ville, Canada, to visit Mrs. Caldwell's brother. At this place
they had a pleasant tunc and enjoyed fishing and boating on
Lake Ontario. The happy couple returned to Lincoln July
25 and arc now residing at 2400 Lynn street.
On the evening of September 3 at six o'clock, the 5011ml o.
music told the many friends gathered in the Holy Trinit)
church that the time was come when Lieutenant T. W. Griffith
and Miss Ailccn Oakley were to be united in the holy bond
ofwcd-lock, Rev. John Hewitt officiating. After the cere
mony the guests were invited to the Oakley home where a warm
reception and a delicious supper awaited them. The groom's
best man was E. Lewis Kuhns of Chicago the bride of
honor being Miss Olivic Latta, a former member of the class
ol '92. Among the most prominent personages from abroad
were, W. A. Griffith of Grecnsbury, Pa., and II. S. Kiehl of
Pittsburg, Pa., The bridal party left on the 8.55 train for
Denver aad Salt Lake, returning on the 17 of September
and are now living at 1420 R street.
Miss Idcar Cornell, formerly of '91, was married in Phil
adelphia to Mr. Tucker. Mr. and Mrs. Tucker are now living
in New Brunswick.
On the evening of September 8, at the residence of the
bride's parents, 346 North Seventeenth street, Lincoln, oc
cured the wedding of H. J. Webber and Miss Lucy Hardin,
Rev. C. B. Newman officiating. The happy couple have
made their home at St. Louis, where Mr. Webber is prolcssor
of botany in the Washington university.
The wedding ol C. F. Ansley and Miss Anna Childc oc
cured at Holy Trinity church, Lincoln, on the evening of Au
gust 9, Rev. M. Lewin performing the ceremony. The happy
couple are at home to their friend? at Alcdo, 111.,
On the evening of Wednosday, September 17, at the home
of the bride's parents, at Normal, Illinois, occurcd the wed
ding of Professor Gustav C. Mcnzcndorf and Miss Ermiua D.
Cochrane About fifty of their more intimate friends had as
sembled to witness the ceremony, which was performed by
the bride's father, the Rev. Dr. S. D. Cochran. After the
ceremony and congratulations a sumptous supper was served,
and later several select pieces of music were rendered. At
8.30, the company dispciscd, and Mr. and Mrs. Menzendorf
boarded the fast train for Lincoln via Kansas City. Many
elegant presents testify to the esteem in which the newly
wedded couple arc held. They have THE IlESl'ERlAN's
congratulations and best wishes for a happy future.
At the home of Mrs. S. S. Moody of Beatrice, September
16, Mr. S. D. Killen was married to Miss Anna Moody by
Rev. E. S. Smith ol the Congregational church. The biidal
arty departed at dice for Chicago and the East on a short
wedding lour. Mr. and Mrs. Killen will make their home at
Beatrice. Mr. Killen graduated at the University in '87 and
has many friends here who wish him many years of happiness
B 1 ge wv Tower.
At the home of the bride's parents corner of 24 and Q June
16, Mr. C. W. Bigclow and Miss May Tower, both of '89,
were united in marriage by Rev. Brock of the Second Pres
byterian church. During the summer Mr. and Mrs. Bigclow
resided in the city. Mr. Bigelow has lately been appointed
superintendent of the city schools of Madison, Ncbr. lie
and Mrs. Bigclow will make their home there until June next,
then they will return to Lincoln, which they expect to make
their future home.
At York, Ncbr., August 21, a large number of friends
gathered at the home of the bride's parents to witness the
marriage of Miss Marian F. Hibbard, formerly of the class of
'93 and Mr. L. L. McIlvain. The newly married couple at
once started for Denver, Colo., where they will make their
home in the future.
On Tuesday September 23, 1890 at 2.30 p. m. at the resi
denceof the brides parents Miss Mattie Thurber and Mr.
Charles Percy Walters were married, Rev. E. S. Ralston offi
ciating. Both the contracting parties are former University
students Miss Thuibcr having been a member of the class of
'92 and Mr. Walters of the class of '91. The best wishes of a
host of friends go with them. They will be at home to their
friends in East Lincoln.
At the brides home at 705 North Twentyfifth street, Lin
coln, on the evening of September 8, occurcd the. marriage
of Mr. F. A. Stuff and Miss Minnie Moore, the bride's father,
Rev. C. W. Moore officiating. Both the bride and groom
were formerly students at the University of Nebraska. Mr.
and Mrs Stuff reside at 705 North Twentyfifth street Lincoln.
Ten per cent off to students of the State University at J.
Z. Briscoe, the shoe man, exposition building.
When in need of anything in the line of wearing apparel
call on Mayer Bros., at their magnificent new parlors, North
Tenth street, opposite the post office.
Powered by Open ONI