Image provided by: University of Nebraska-Lincoln Libraries, Lincoln, NE
About Hesperian student / (Lincoln [Neb.]) 1872-1885 | View Entire Issue (Oct. 1, 1889)
The books arc not lvo deep on the shelves now, however.
By the end of the year the need of a library building will be
apparent to the most obstinate of legislators. The room ad
joining the library, of the same size, will be the new
reading room, but has already been invadad by several hun
dred volumes of books. Nearly a hundred new desk chairs
have been added in University hall, some professors enjoy
new desks, ami faulty blackboards have been renewed.
In the chemical laboratory the rooms formerly occupied
by the departments of botany and physics have been very
neatly fitted up for chemistry and arc under the dominion ol
Mis. Professor Lloyd.
Into the new Nebraska hall have nfovecl tire' departments
of botany, physics, geology, zoology. These, with the new
department of agriculture and biology, fill the building from
the start. The fittings arc very neat and convenient, and
the general sciences have, for the first time, an appropriate
home in the University.
The new boiler house is an improvement which adds, not
only to the convenience, but the safety of the students.
There will be space for seven boilers. The two old ones are
in process of removal, and three new steel boilers are on the
road. Coal and ash pits will be excavated under the ide
walk on T street, thus avoiding the procession of coal wag
ons across our campus.
On the west of the campus the removal of the old hedge
and the establishment of city grade adds much to the beauty
of the grounds. It is the intention to continue this around
the grounds as soon as funds permit, and stone walks will be
laid in time.
The laying of steam pipes has necessitated the tearing up
of the sidewalks. Temporary wooden walks wdl be laid as
soon as the trenches are filled and levelled.
The long hoped-for gymnasium is not yet fitted up, but is
one of the things of the near future.
Taken as a whole, the University is in much better shqpe
than ever bclorc, and can offer advantages heretofore only
hoped for. With the present corps of insructois, our build
ings and aparatus, we need fear no compassion with any
school for hundreds of miles around. The sooner every stu
dent of the University knows and appreciates the advantage
offered, the sooner the University of Nebraska will take its
place as one of the foremost institutions of the country a
name it is fast coming to deserve.
about to make a short lecture lour in this country. Mis
Edwards, who has been called the most learned woman of
to day, has become famous through her rcecot archcological
researches in Egypt.
It is reported that more students have registered this term
than ever before. Notwithstanding the counter attractions
of our neighboring universities the attendance at the U. of
N. is flattering to her reputation as the best educational insti
tution in the state.
If the cool weather continues it is feared that the sick list
will be noticeably lengthened 'ere long, for the low tempera
ture tluoughout the buildings is not exactly conducive to gen
eral good health. We arc informed that the heating appa
ratus can not be used for a mouth or more, and in the mean
time we arc privileged to shiver.
If a book evhange were opened in connection withTllK
IIkspkri AN office, some enterprising young man might make
a few shekels. Second hand books of use to students could
be left on s.ile, and a per cent charged as commission by the
manager, who would be thus compensated for his time and
trouble, while students wishing to buy and sell something in
this line would be accommodated. N. B. The public is
hereby informed that the above idea was acted on by Sayci
& Miller at the opening of the term, and all the advantages
thereof are open to the students.
Many and diverse comments have been passed on the
Senior gowns. Of course they are conceded to be unique
and generally becoming, but is it not deplorable that all
should make themselves so conspicuous? Still, it is not sur
prising that some in a large class should be guilty of such
indiscretion. Hut to think that Miss Blank (who happens to
be any of the Senior young ladies under discussion) so mod
est and retiring, should display such impropriety is prepos
terous in the extreme! Then, such extravagance! a whole
width of material in the sleeves! But when worse than all,
when Miss Senior is ai rayed in all the glory of her gown,
has adjusted her spectacles and perched her mortar-board on
tne back of her head to cap the climax if her chignon can
be called a climax she is certainly a formidable looking
creature. But further comment is useless. Sophisticate the
Prep, salinate the Freshmen or repress the Sophomore if
you wish, but divorce the senior girl, lovely scniorita, from
the gown of her idolatry you will not.
Miss Nellie Young, the violinist will remain in Boston
during the ensuing year to continue her musical studies in
the New England conservatory.
Mr. Conway MacMillan, '84, has an interciting paper in
the September number of the Arrv England and Yale Ra'iew
on the German painter,' Martin Sehongauer.
The llaydon Art club have several delightful treats in
store for near future for those interested in art. The origin
als of many of the illustrations for the Century and ' j
magazines will be on exhibition in October.
The marriages of Mr. Will O. Jones and Miss Edith Doo.
little, and of Mr. Paul F. Clark and Miss May L. Roberts
occiurcd in September, and Tin: IIksi'KKIAN promises to
announce another wedding soon. The interested parties arc
An evening sketch class will be held on trial for two
months, and if well attended, may be continued for the re.
maincicr of the year. It is hoped that it will be possible to
secure an engagement with Miss Amelia Edwards, who is
Two members ol our last year's faculty have bettered their
condition by accepting positions elsewhere. The principal
of the Latin school. Mr. Chas. E. Bennett, ac:epted the
chair of Latin in the University of Wisconsin at a consider
ably increased salary. Dr. Joseph Fontaine resigned his po
sition in the University of Nebraska to accept a full professor
ship of modern languages in the University of Mississippi.
We congratulate the two institutions named on securing two
men in every way qualified to fill acceptably their new posi
tions and trust that the gentlemen will find congenial work.
The new principal oi the Latin school is James T. Lees,
Ph. D. Dr. Lees received his baccaluareate degree at the
Western Reserve university, lie alterwartls spent some
time teaching and in study abroad. The last three years he
has spent at Johns Hopkins, where he took his second degree.
His specialty is Greek, though he has also fitted himself for
the teaching of Latin and Sanskrit.
The vacancy in the modern language department is filled
by an alumnus, Laurence Fossler. Mr. Fossler acted as tutor
in the University for a time after his graduation in 1881, anp
Powered by Open ONI