Image provided by: University of Nebraska-Lincoln Libraries, Lincoln, NE
About Hesperian student / (Lincoln [Neb.]) 1872-1885 | View Entire Issue (Oct. 1, 1877)
F. M. Hull once more lingers in our
Frank C. Ilnrtl is now a citizen ami en.
orgotio mcrcliant of Lincoln.
A. W. Field, deals out justice to the
erring and transgressors in this locality.
Charlie Mngoon, our "little boy,'1
swings the correspondent's pen on the
Miss Jessie Mason, (laughter of our
esteemed citizen, lion. O. I'. Mason, is
registered as a student this term.
Masters Clcmmie Chase and Dannie
Wheeler left their cards on our table.
Come again, boys, you are welcome.
II. II. Wilson, the live, energetic cones,
poudent oT the lee, has returned, and
pursues once more his studies with ardent
'7L Wallace Stevenson still granger
eth, and revels in the luxuiy of a bounti
ful harvest. A year's subscription is anx
Frank Raymond is married. May
their walk through life be a happy one,
and their future troubles be "little ones,"
is the wish of the Stl'DKNT.
J. C. F. McKesson brings newsubserip
tions for the Studknt. John understands
our wants, and his helping band is duly
appreciated by all concerned.
Howard Caldwell, who has long been
absent, returns again, just as short and
happy as in the past. J lis man' friends
were glad to shake once more.
Our friend McCartney, that swings the
spicy pen on the Omaha If iyt School, gave
us a call a short time since. Mc runs one
of the best monthly papers in the west.
We acknowledge a call from Prof.
Frank Startler. Prof, has lilted up a room
in the University, and is prepared to in.
struct nlJ students in the art of painting.
A specimen of the Professor's handiwork
can be seen in one of the windows on O
street. This masterpiece speaks volumes
as to his ability a an artist
Homer Stout, an old student, gave us
a call the lalicr part of this mouth. Hom
er is looking .some bettor than when lie
left these parts, and is now on his way to
California, where lie expects to recuperate
and grow strong.
Our old fi lend Luther McKesson
dropped in and is now once more a stu
dent of the University. Luther has hucn
training the idea how to shoot.
Wo are always pleased to read the eduj
cationa! department of ihe Kearney Press,
prepared by Dr. Fiflcld, but we enter one
complaint. The columns have been void
of much interest lately. What's the mat
tor Dr. !
The Normal school that was carried on
under the guidence of Prof. Thompson
and Jones, in this city, during Ike sum.
ir.er was u decided success. Many stu
dents took advantage of the opportunity
and procured certificates.
Some lime ago, the Student made a
complaint, that examinations, for teachers
certificates were a farce, and from that
time, we have noticed a gradual improve
mcut. These examinations should be
hard and severe, in proportion to the
grade, in which the applicant desires to
teach, and then will our district schools
be cleared of the cracked brained, and
shallow ignoramuses, that would feign
be a school teacher, on account of the
mild character of the labor.
WHO NAMED THE COLLEGES?
Harvard College was named after John
Haivard, who, in 1088 left to the college
779 pounds sterling and n library of over
Williams College was named after Col.
Ephraim Williams, a soldier of the old
Dartliniouth College was named after
Lord Durt.iiouth, who subscribed a large
Powered by Open ONI