The Hesperian / (Lincoln, Neb.) 1885-1899, February 01, 1900, Image 3

Below is the OCR text representation for this newspapers page. It is also available as plain text as well as XML.

    m.
I. i
William Dungan, '96, who played
tackle on the 'varsity team for several
years, has been visiting in Lincoln
during the past few days. He is now
employed as surveyor in one of the
Union Pacific surveying parties in the
west.
The prize of $10 offered by the
Acme Publishing Co., of Wheeling W.
Va., for the best cover design for
their book entitled "Under the Cot
tonwoods," was won by H. H. Grupe,
of the University of Nebsaska sketch
class.
At a recent meeting of the Ameri
can Historical Association held at
Boston, Professor H. W. Caldwell of
the Unive-sity of Nebraska was
selected as a member of the public
archives committee created at that
time.
The Nebraska University Club of
Chicago will hold its next dinner and
banquet at Charter time when it is ex
pected that several members of the
University faculty and alumni from
Nebraska will be in attendance at
Chicago.
Professor Lawrence Bruner re
cently delivered addresses before the
Valley High School on "Argentina"
and before the Washington County
Teachers' Association at Arlington
upon HNature Study in our Public
Schools.'5
The Y. M. G. A. of the University
of Nebraska is verv active with the
new men who havejust entered the
Winter Course in Agriculture. A re
ception was given them and branch
of the association has been started at
the farm.
Wilbur C. Knight, '84, is now pro
lessor 01 geology and mmeralology in
the University of Wyoming at Lara
mie, tie was also recently appointed
a member of the geological society of
America in recognition of his accom
plishments. The Committee on Courses of Study
of the University' of Nebraska is still
at work upon its long expected report.
This report will deal largely with the
requirements for admission. It is
rumored thptmany important changes
will be made.
J. V. McCroaky '91, who is now
uuici eiccirician ior tne buenos Ayrcs
tramway company in Argentiene, is on
his way to visit his old home at Te
cumseh. He will be at Lincoln and
will probably deliver a lecture to the
electrical students.
Herbert E. Gregory, a former stu
dent of The University, has finished
his post-graduate work in geology and
paleontology at Yale University. He
is now an assistant professor in that
university and- also a member of the
state sucvey of Maine.
The annual meeting of the Nation
. al Creamery "Butter Makers Associa
tion will be held in Lincoln, Nebr., on
February 19-23. It is expected that
a thousand delegates will be present.
Part of the exhibits will be made in
the University buildings.
Speaker Paul Clark, of the house of
representatives, recently received
judgment for the sum of $t 6,000
against the Missouri, Kansas and
Texas Trust Company in a suit over
the equity in the Grand Hotel.
H. B. Alexander '97 has been fur
nishing the Nebraskan-Hesperian
some interesting letters from the Uni
versity of Pennsylvania. Interesting
communications have also been pub
lished from 0. H.. Martin at Harvard
and Benton Dales '97, at Cornell.
Professor Robert Owens, formerly
of the electrical engineering depart
ment of the University of Nebraska,
but now of McGill University, Mont
real, Canada, recently published a
paper in the "Philosophical Magazine
of London" on "Thorium Radiations."
Miss Alice C. Harris, a special bo
tanical student three years ago, and
then assistant principal of the Cripple
Creek (Colorado) High School visited
her friends in Lincoln during the hol
idays. She intends to return to The
University next fall to complete her
course.
Of the women who have graduated
from the University of Nebraska, 263
have taken the degree of A. B. andB.
Sc. Of this number three have died,
64 have been married, 30 have taken
their Master's degree and 8 are now
studying for the Doctor's degree in
some institution.
It is probable that the following
auujcum wm ue given in tne coming
session of the Universilv nf Mnhnclm.
Botany, chemistry or physics (or
Dotft) English, history, (probably
American), Latin, mathematics, phil
osophy, jSerman and probably in
struction in art. . '
The secretaryNof the class of '89 has
issued the annual class letter to mem
bers of the class. MJ. Biglow died
during the year. Threcnmbers are
in the ministry. Several University
grandchildren were b'om during tire
year. Miss Edna Bullock, of Des
Moines, Iowa, is the secretary.
J. I. Wyer, librarian of the Univer
sity of Nebraska, recently notified
alumni and former students of the Uni
versity that not a copy of the college
papers had been preserved in the
University. Since then seven com
plete files of the Hesperian and four of
the Nebraskan have been presented.
Chas. Mousel, '97 law, after leaving
The University, accepted the deputy,
treasurership of Frontier county for
one year, practiced law with ex-Judge
Welty of the 14th judicial district one
year and at present holds a position
in the State Bank of Cambridge. He
writes that he is "single, sober, satisfied.
Invitations have been received at
the University of Nebraska to the
dedication of the Thomas Welton
Stanford Library Assembly Hall. At
that occasion an address will be de
livered by Professor George E. How
ard, formerly of the University of
Nebraska upon "The Social Meaning
of the Open library."
Professor Fossler is giving a course
of lectures at Tecumseh, on the Uni
versity Extension plan. The clubs of
Tecumseh are studying German and
they secured his co-operation to the
extent of six lectures. He speaks on
topics such as The Nibelungenlicd,
the Religion of the Early Teutons,
Mediaeval Germany, Goethe, Schiller,
and Modern Germany.
V. C. Barber, assistant pathologist
at the experiment station of the Uni
versity of Nebraska, left for Chicago
the last of December to accept a po
sition with the Pasteur Vaccine Com
pany. This company has increased
its working staff from one man in 1895
to fifty in 1899. Mr. Barber passed
a rigid examination and goes with
good recommendations.
Henry Longsdorff of Bellevue has
sent to the State Museum samples of
pyrolusite which were found on a farm
near that place and reports it to be
the largest deposite in the state. M.
B. Slocum at South Sioux City, Ne
braska, has also sent samples of con
siderable deposits of selenite (sulphate
of lime or crystahzed gypsum.)
Max Westerman, accountant of the
University of Nebraska, has received
a letter from his brother, Will Wester
mann, at the University of Berlin, in
which there is mention of several Ne
braska alumni at present working for
degrees in German universities. John
Almy, '86, has just passed his examin
ation for the degree of Ph. D. in the
University of Berlin. Billings Almy,
'96, is stupying at Leipsig, Germany.
The second semester of the College
of Law of the University of Nebraska
opened immediately after the holidays
with considerable increase in attend
ance. The total registration . in the
department of English at the Univer
sity of Nebraska in the first semester
reached within a few of the enormous
number of '1600, ever three-fourths of
the entire enrollment of the University.
Drs. A. Ross Hill and David R.
Majors of The University of Nebraska
attended the meeting of the professors
of philosophy at Kansas City January
r. An association was formed under
the name ot the Western philosophi
cal association. Its object is to in
crease the interest and stimulate or
iginal research in all branches of
philosophy. Dr. Hill was elected
secretary and treasurer of the new as
sociation, The next meeting will be
held in Lindoln about January r,
1901.
f
! '
it
r
M -1
rf