Image provided by: University of Nebraska-Lincoln Libraries, Lincoln, NE
About The Nebraskan. (Lincoln, Neb.) 1892-1899 | View Entire Issue (March 1, 1893)
upon ii new opera "King Lair." He refused
the degioe of musicnlc Doc. o Acred him by
the University of Cambridge.
At n late examination of the Paris conser
vatory only twenty-four women were admitted
out of one hundred thirty-nine applicants.
The music at the Charter Day lecture was
furnished by the University Orchestra. It
rendered a selection before and after the
Johannes Brahms, the musician who holds
occtl cm& personal.
Burncll Colson spent Sunday in Fremont.
Miss Bessie Gondii's sister recently visited
T. L. Hall was a visitor at the University
Mrs. James H. Cnntiulcl, hps left for Eure
ka Springs, Ark.
Miss Fanny Hershcy went home last week
the sceptre of pure instrumental music in on account of her illness.
Germany, has fulfilled the prophecy made by
Schurmann, that he would be his successor
in the pure German music. He is a relation
The Nordica concert at the Lansing last
Thursday evening was magnificent. Mes-
J. C. Graham has been ill during the past
week, but is now able to be about.
A number of the students attended the re
ception at Worthington Academy.
Miss Ida Bonncll of '91, now residing in
Chicago, was in Lincoln recently.
W. C. Dorsey of Beatrice, was shaking
dames Nordica and Scalchi shared honors
about equally, and Campanini and Del Puente hjuu)s wUh stU(lent Mcms iilst woek.
were both fine. It was the best music by the
The shower baths have been closed during
the past week while undergoing repairs.
Miss Josephine Lottridge has been quite ill
with the diphtheria and is slowly recovering.
Miss Anna Day and Miss Georgia Case
were visitors at the University two weeks
Miss Barton has lelt to accept a position
as instructor in Art at the Agricultural Col
lege of South Dakota.
The first annual distribution of the Botan-
greatest singers Lincoln has ever had the
opportunity of hearing. The house was filled
to overflowing with "Lincoln's Best," includ
ing some two or three hundred of the faculty
A recital was given by the junior members
of th6 music department, assisted by two or
three of the more advanced pupils, last Satur
day evening, February the 25th. The or
chestra, composed of junior members, did re
markably well. What made it more impres
sive was the earnestness of the faces of its ical Exchange Club of the Botanical Seminar
members. Silence Dales showed both in- has just been completed,
struction and talent in rendering a piano solo. Jjimes Boyd McDonald, '92, who has been
Ernest Bessey and Horace Sherman played visiting at his home in North Platte, has re-
a violin duet. Ethel Syford rendered Scher- turned to the Capital City.
zino on the piano. iienton Dales, Silence
Dales and Edith Lewis gave violin solos in
a manner that reflected credit both to them
selves and to their instructor. Dorothea
Canfield showed her ability as a violinist in
rendering a selection from Stradella. Piano
solos were given by Miss Daisy Cochrane
and Mr. Shafer. The entertainment was
concluded by the orchestra playing "Danube
Miss Rose Higgins, a former student of the
University, has returned. She will take
work in the department of Botany.
A short prayer meeting is held every day
at half-past twelve by the Y. W. C. A. All
young ladies arc invited to attend these meet
ings. The four herbarium cases which are to
Waves" waltz. Much credit should be given contain the Cryptogams of the Botanical
to this department. Survey Herbarium have been put in their
Powered by Open ONI