The Conservative (Nebraska City, Neb.) 1898-1902, July 28, 1898, Page 10, Image 10
10 Conservative , had they boon wisely conserved , woxilrt now inako that dononu'imtion ono of tlio richest in the state. Among other wise and useful acts of Bishop Talbot , was the establishinonfc of a sohool on the land where Mr. IIollo- baugh now lives , two and a half miles southwest of Nebraska City. This in stitution was known as Talbot Hall. The head of its faculty was the Rev. John Gasman. It was a very promising seminary. At one time there was an attendance of between fifty and sixty boys. The faculty was made up of thoroughly educated gentlemen. The discipline and instruction were of the most desirable and effective character. Talbot Hall should have been conserved and perpetuated. It would have proved a great beneficence to the common wealth. The pupils from that school have as a rule , by their lives and suc- braska City. A. C. Fling is principal of the high school ; B. H. Morgan principal of the Sixth street school ; Ellen Ware principal of the Second avenue school ; Homy N. Blake principal of the Four teenth street school ; Celia M. Burgert principal of the Greggsport ; and Cora Clary principal of the Kearney school. Prof. E. M. Lippitt is instructor in music. The total number of teachers employed is thirty-three. The board of education for 185)7-08 ) is : Dr. Claude Watson , president , ; Dr. E. M. Whitton , vice-president ; S. A. Hail , * secretary ; R. M. Taggart , Fred Hollier , H. R. Young , E. L. Overtoil and D. W. Schminke. It is wisely provided ( see page 1004 , 481 S , section 20 , compiled statutes of Nebraska 1807) ) that no supplies can be furnished the board of education by any member thereof. This prevents favor itism in the purchase of books , station- I i The building is ninety feet long and forty-five feet wide. ceases demonstrated the value of its in culcations. In 1871 the Presbyterian denomination established Otoo University and located the same between Thirteenth and Four teenth streets. But after a sickly existence of brief duration under charge of a gen tleman from Ohio , the property was transferred to the Episcopal church. Then Talbot Hall and its interests merged into this property , which was called Nebraska College. The first year it had thirty-five pupils enrolled. The school buildings of Nebraska City are the high school , Sixth street school , Fourteenth street school , Second avenue school , Greggsport , Kearney and Belmont - mont .schools. The buildings occupied by them have cost $80,000.00. , The enrollment in the high school dur ing the year ending May 27 , 1808 , was 217 pupils ; in the primary and grammar grades 1514 ! pupils ; total enrollment , ICiJl. W. H. Skinner is the efficient superintendent of the schools of Ne- ery and other articles of that sort which the board may require. The school library contains about 500 volumes. "When the Nebraska City Public Library was opened the board of education donated to that institution about 200 valuable volumes. The public library of Nebraska City is domiciled in a very pretty building. It was first occupied in April , 1807. It is nearly fire-proof , built of the very best material , roofed with beautiful French tiling and corniced and guttered with heavy copper. It was a gift from Joy Morton to the Nebraska City library as sociation. It is open every day from 2 until G and from 7 until 0 p. m. On its tables are found all the best current lit erature of the United States. These magazines are paid for out of the Van Wyck memorial fund contributed by Mrs. Katharine Van Wyck , relict of General and Senator Chas. H. Van Wyck. The accompaning cut is a very correct delineation of the Nebraska City public library. In 1874 all the schoolhouses and the land appertaining to them in the county of Otoo were worth $74,470. But in 1807 the schoolhouses and sites of Otoo county are valued at $102,088 and other school property is counted at $14,510 , making a total valuation at the present time of $176,002. Data concerning educational develop ment of adjoining counties will bo gratefully received and properly pxib- lished by THE CONSERVATIVE. Deceased. CONSERVATIVES American men IN THE UNITED nild WOIIIGU Who STATUS. under just and equal laws , by self-denying and intelli gent industryhave acquired fair fortunes and clean characters , arc conservatives. They have everything in human life that is worth conservation. And it is to this class of thinking citizens that the Republic and all its glorious memories and all its immense possibilities must bo committed. Those who have homes ; those who have honorable records of cit izenship and philanthropy ; those who revere the wisdom which formed and the valor and brains which defended the Government of the United States are now needed as monitors among the pee ple. There is work for conservatives all over this country. It is wisdom to take care of what wo have ; it is courage to defend constitutional government against all the beguilements and en croachments of jingoism and imperial ism. God save the Republic ! EXTK AVA G ANT TllG COUllty CO111- MOVINCI OF missioners have no mtiDGES. right to move bridges , at great cost to the taxpayers , except for unanswerable reasons. There is a bridge two miles east of Syracuse , in Otoe coiinty , between two quarter sections known as the Littlofield lands , which it is proposed to move a short dis tance at a great and unnecessary cost. County commissioners who are in ses sion almost perennially , and who draw salaries averaging between $1,000 and $1,500 a year , ought strenuously to en deavor to save money for the taxpayers of Otoo county. During the Trans-Mississippi exposi tion , now being hold in Omaha , a com modious hotel in the immediate vicinity of the grounds will bo maintained for the benefit of the Presbyterian hospital of that city. Any member of the con gregation intending to visit this exposi tion can secure particularly comfortable quarters and at the same time assist a most worthy charity by patronizing "Tho Benefit House" ( Pincknoy and 21st Streets. ) Full information will bo mailed on application to Mr. or Mrs. J. H. HUHU , Benefit House , Omaha , Nob.