Image provided by: University of Nebraska-Lincoln Libraries, Lincoln, NE
About The Plattsmouth journal. (Plattsmouth, Nebraska) 1901-current | View Entire Issue (Oct. 17, 1938)
Powered by OpenONI
Ilehr. Stati Historical Society
VOL. NO. UV
PLATTSMOUTIt, NEBRASKA, MONDAY, OCTOBER 17, 1938.
p is i 1
History of the
Progress of City Schools Prom 1856
Up to the Present tune Re
viewed by Miss Gass.
Editor's Note: In connection
with the dedication of the in
scribed boulder marking the site
of the first school house erected
in Plattsmouth, the Fontenelle
chapter of the Daughters of the
American Revolution, asked Miss
Olive Gass to write a short his
tory of the schools. Miss Gass
has been connected with the
Plattsmouth schools as pupil and
later as teacher, for over forty
years. Ker story follows:
By MISS OLIVE GASS
(A former Plattsmouth teacher)
Development is often a slow pro
cess scarcely discernable except by
comparison of the subject in its
embryonic state with the present or
der of things; and while such a com
parison brings more viviily to our
minds the advancement made, yet to
the student of this subject, the 6teps
by which this improvement was ac
complished are well worth consid
ering. We find some very Interesting
facts connected with the early his
tory of the schools and school build
ings of our city.
We find the frame school house,
the crude desks, the backless benches
and the lack of many things which
we now consider necessities. Those"
early !:hool houses must have cor
responded to the description given
by Whitier when he says:,
"Still sits the school house by the
(A ragged beggar sunning.)
Around it still the sumachs grow.
And blackberry vines are running.
Within, the master's desk Is seen.
Deep scarred by raps cffieial.
The warping floor, the battered seats,
The jack" knlfe's 'Carved Initial."""
The first public school in America
was the Boston Public Latin School,
founded in April 1635. In April 1935
Massachusetts celebrated the 300th
anniversary of this event.
A bronze tablet at the old school
bears this inscription:
"From the seed planted here the
whole American system of free edu
Probably the first school in Ne
braska, was the Mission school at
Bellevue, established in 1843.
Cass county organized the first
rural school in 1857.
The first school house in Platts
mouth was built in 185t on Gospel
Hill, at 11th and Marble streets,
now designated as 11th and 3rd Ave.
It was a one-room frame building
erected by Mr. James O'Neill, grand
father of Mr. James Herold and Mrs
Dora - Herold-Tidd, and Mrs. Ann
O'Neill-Timm. The first school was
a three-month's school, taught by
Miss Mary Stocking.
The building was also used as a
court room. Tradition tells us that
as it was only a one-room building,
the jury, in warm weather, often
sat. out under the oak trees to de
liberate on their verdict.
The first regular certificate was
issued to Miss Sarah Mitchell, March
26. 1860. The board of examiners
consisted of Mr. Elbert, Mr. T. M.
Marquette and Mr. D. H. Wheeler.
The earliest schools were all sub
scription schools, but in the year
1857 Mr. and Mrs. Gorrell had
charge of what Mas called the city
school, .situated on the south side of
Main street. The school was after
wards removed to the north side of
Main street, the building occupied
being about where the Gamble store,
506 Main now stands- This, was
also a public school and was taught
by a Mr. White.
In 1859 the school was removed
again to the south side of Main
street. The building occupied was
not built for school purposes and Is
the building at 541 Main street, now
occupied by Mr. Frank Gobelman.
The total enrollment at this time
was 90 pupils. A Mr. Madison
taught school in the building re
ferred to above, and was assisted by
Mrs. S. E. MeElwain (nee Miss Sarah
Harper) of this city. At this time
all pupils had to buy their own
Members of tfce board of educa
tion were not compelled to hold mid
Continued on Page 3
A series of democratic meetings
will be held over Cass county in
the next two weeks which will bring
many speakers of prominence and in
terest to address the voters. Meet
ings which have been arranged by
Chairman George Nickles and the
county committeemen and women are
Rock Bluffs school, Thursday, Oc
Murray. Saturday, October 22.
Louisville, October 27th.
Elmwood. October 29th.
Plattsmouth. November 5th.
Dock Ships a
Load of Lumber
E. J. Richey Lumber & Coal Com
pany Ships Barge of Lumber to
From Thursday's Daily
The Plattsmouth dock this morn"
ing was the witness of the first
shipment of material "from the dock
and which may mark an epoch in the
method of handling heavy material
loads on the river.
The E. J. Richey Lumber & Coal
company of this city, had a large
order of lumber and material for the
Waterways Construction Co., whose
offices are located here, the material
desired down the river where a part
of the river improvement program is
being handled. The lumber was
taken to the dock by truck and trans- !
ferred to the barge and which con
veyed it on to the point of destination
at Rock Bluffs.
These small shipments show that
the waterway transportation is prac
tical and in this case reaches a point
of unloading which otherwise would
have made necessary a longer and
more expensive method.
STOP HERE FOR VISIT
Mr. and Mrs. Otto Marek and son,
Billy, of Detroit, were here Wednes
day for a short time visiting at the
home of Mr. and Mrs. Oscar Gapen,
parents of Mrs. Marek. They were
en route to Wymore, called there by
the death of James Marek, father of
Otto, and will remain there until the
last of the week before returning to
the east. .
Mr. Marek is engaged in work In
one of the large steel mills operated
in connection with the auto Industry
and James and Covert Jean, also for
mer residents here, are employed In
the Michigan city.
WILL EXHIBIT AT AK-SAR-BEN
Cass county 4-H club members are
eagerly awaiting Ak-Sar-Ben. They
have entered 34 baby beeves and 20
fat barrows for the 4-H show and if
they win as many blue and red rib
bons proportionately as they did at
state fair, we know that they will
make a good showing. Baby beef
members have reserved some of their
best calves for showing at Ak-Sar-Ben
and feel confident they have
good quality beeves to take into the
ring. A number of the boys plan to
stay together in a cabin near the
Ak-Sar-Ben . grounds for the entire
week of October 23rd to 28th.
LARGE DREDGE HERE
From Thursday's Dally-
The U. S. dredge boat, "McGregor"
arrived in this section today to look
after some dredging work north of
the city. The dredge, which is the
largest water craft that has been
sent, up the Missouri river, will look
after dredging near the St. Mary's
bend where a canal connects the Mis
souri and Platte.
The boat carries a crew of fifty
six and who are working in twenty
four hour shifts in getting the river
ready for navigation.
BIRTH OF A GIRL
Last night at the St. Joseph hos
pital in Omaha Janet Carel Janda
was born to Mr. and Mrs. Albert
Janda. The little Miss tipped the
scales at 84 pounds. Both mother
and babe are doing nicely. She is a
granddaughter of Mr. and Mrs. Tone
Janda and are very happy over the
new arrival. Mrs. Janda was for
merly Miss Rose Schiessl of this city.
Murray Banker and Family Have
Great Experience; Visit Many
Mr. and Mrs. Glen Boedeker and
their daughter, Miss Jane, returned
home the last of the week from
European trip that took them some
6,000 miles by auto through all of
the principal countries of contin
ental Europe and gave them a real
insight into the country and the peo
Leaving Murray in -the late sum
mer they had' motored to New York
and had their car placed on the ves
sel that thye were to take to the
old world, making their landing at
Eoulogne, one of the best known of
the channel ports. They then mo
tored on to Paris where they met the
daughter, who has spent the last
year there in musical work. In the
beauties of the French capital city
the family had a number of glor
ious days in viewing the historic
spots so familiar to the student, the
scenes where many of the memorable
events of the world history has been
Starting on their motor trip, the
party drove to St- Malo and the sea
side resorts not far from the Chan
nel islands, and from here they turn
ed south into the farming sections
of France and the manufacturing
cities that furnish much goods for
French export. The trip took them
through Potiers and as far south
as Toulouse, one of the important
cities of the south and where the
Spanish atmosphere can be noted and
which has been much more so since
the Spanish civil war and the influx
of refugees from stricken Spain.
One of the features that the family
will long remember was the drive
along the Mediterranean sea, beauti
ful scenery, lovely homes and resort
centers and the cities of Marseilles
and Nice, the soft and pleasant
climate making it the playground of
all Europe in the colder months of
the year. From the south France trip
the party motored Into Italy where
they found many scenes of beauty
and also noted the great strides that
have been made in rebuilding, mod
ernizing and the restoration of his
toric spots. The great art treasures
of the cities, Florence and Rome,
were viewed, and at Rome the Mur
ray party visited the great St. Peter's
church. They also toured east to
Venice to enjoy its beauty and the
sight of the grand canals, later go
ing on to Milan and thence to Switz
erland. They made the trip, into
Switzerland by the St. Gothard's pass.
They were at Interlacken and here
was heard the reports of the war
scares that had rendered all Europe
a camp of fear for several weeks.
On entering Germany, it was calm,
however, no one discussing the prob
abilities of war and the residents of
the various districts apparently un
aware of the dangers. The party
was asked to leave all foreign news
papers at the border and no liter
ature allowed to be carried. The
journey was continued to Munich,
beautiful Bavarian capital city and
on the Rhine to view the beauties of
that stream. They were at Godes
berg just a few days from the date
of the conference of Hitler and
The cities of . Frankfort, Cologne
and other of the Rhine sections were
visited and excellent service found
in the hotels and the boarding places
which are well kept.
The party crossed from Germany
to Holland and Belgium to visit at
Rottedam, Amsterdam and at Brus
sels. Mr. Boedeker states that in
Switzerland and Holland, two of the
smallest European countries, that
they were spotlessly clean and their
villages and towns kept up wonder
fully. The Murray party while in Hol
land passed through the town of
Doorn, where lives in his castle and
under the protection of the Holland
government, the once mighty mon
arch, Wllhelm n.-They did not get
to see the forme. German emperor
as the condition of the European af
fairs had caused the kaiser to re
frain from any public audiences or
In reaching Belgium the party
found the war fear very great and
thtj Belgian army mobilizing with
the "fear of the dark days of 1914
1918 still a vivid memory to the
From Belgium the party returned
to Paris and then to La Harve where
th;y boarded the "Normandie," pride
of the French maritime fleet for the
return to the United States. On the
return voyage the party experienced
a very severe storm at sea and were
juHt touched by the edge of the
hurricane that did much damage in
Plattsmouth and Omaha King and
Queen Members of Royal Party
at Nebraska City.
From Friday's Dally
The coronation ceremony of the
Apple Harvest Festival, held at Ne
braska City last night drew large
crowds and Plattsmouth was repre
sented by an exceptionally large dele
gation to witness the beautiful cli
max of the first day and to take part.
Frank A. Cloidt and Mis3 Theda
Martha Kaffenberger, 1938 king and
queen of the Kass Kounty Korn Kar
nival were invited guests and mem
bers of the coronation as were also
W. O. Swanson and ,Miss Kathryn
Hosford. king and queeu of Ak-Sar-Et
n of Omaha.
Miss Rita Kreifels, of Paul. Ne
braska, was selected as the queen of
the Apple Harvest Festival and had
as her court a large group of duch
esses and princesses selected from
the young women of the Nebraska
Miss Amiee Jane Thomas,, former
Plattsmouth girl, daughter of Mr.
acd Mrs. Herman L. ."Thomas, was
the lady in . waiting th-quB,
Little Miss Jill Woodbury, daughter
of Mr. and Mrs. Glenn Woodbury,
was one of the trainbearers of the
Following the crowning of the
queen, remarks were made by tne
king and queen of the Kass Kounty
Korn Karnival and the king and
queen of Ak-Sar-Ben in giving con
gratulations to the people of Nebras
ka City and the charming queen, all
of the royal party being seated on
the large throne platform.
The visiting members of the royal
party also participated in the grand
coronation ball that followed the
HERE FROM ALVO
From Friday's Dally
Mr. and Mrs. Elmer Klyver of near
Alvo were in the city today to look
after some business in the hearing of
the application for the "probate of
the estate of Peter Klyver, deceased.
Mr. Klyver has resided on the farm
near Alvo all of his lifetime and this
was the third time that he has made
visit to Plattsmouth. They were
accompanied by Attorney Carl D.
SAFE IN PRAGUE
Joseph F. Hadraba, local druggist.
Wednesday received a message from
Lis son, Ted. a member of the De
partment of Commerce commission at
Prague, that they are all right. This
was very assuring to Mr. Hadraba
as the situation there in the more
critical days" of the territorial dis
putes made it very much of a worry
t.s to the future in case of actual
RETURNS FROM HOSPITAL
Miss Helen Warner returned home
Wednesday night from Omaha where
he has been at the Clarkson hos
pital recovering from the effects of
ii minor operation. She is feeling
much improved and after a short
period of recuperation expects to be
able to take up her duties as deputy
:lerk of the district court.
Mr. and Mrs. H. E. Fridlund who
have been spending the week at the
home of Dr. and Mrs. H. G. McClusky
have returned to their home at Craig,
Neb. Mrs. Fridluni and Mrs. Mc
Clusky are sisters.
Meet at Alvo Tuesday With a Large
Attendance; Members En
joy a Fine Program.
The annual county convention of
the Federated Women's clu-bs of Ne
braska was held at Alvo on Tuesday
with a very large attendance of the
members to participate in the fine
Miss Evelyn Wolph, of Nehawka,
county president, presided over the
meeting and presented the various
participants in the session.
The delegates were welcomed by
Mrs. Hazel Mickle of Alvo. on be
half of the hostess club and the re
sponse was given by Mrs. Elmer
Sundstrom of the Plattsmouth club, a
past county president.
The program was quite extensive
and included some very able ad
dresses and special features which
were furnished by the clubs of the
county. The musical program com
prised vocal and instrumental selec
tions and in which many of the
clubs were represented. The Golden
Rod Study club of Mynard gave a
group of three numbers during the
The theme was "The American,
Home," Mrs. L. S. Devoe of this city
being the district chairman.
Presentations were made at the
morning session of:
Miss Augusta Robb, Cass county
chairman, American Red Cross.
Miss Alpha Peterson, county
superintendent of schools.
Mrs. Ivan Balfour, county presi
dent of Women's Christian Temper
ance Union and state corresponding
Mrs. Ray Norris, district and state
chairman of Rural Clubs and Rural
Mrs. Marlon Tucker, district chair
man of Junior clubs.
Mrs. L. S. Devoe. district chair
man of American Home.
Rev. J. C. Lowson of Plattsmouth.
Mrs. Everett Spangler, past coun
ty chairman Home Demonstration
Presentation of District Officers:
Mrs. John Beetem, president, Doug
las; Mrs. W. S. McGrew, vice-president,
Louisville; Mrs. Arthur Jones,
treasurer, Weeping Water.
The Alvo ladies prepared and
served a fine luncheon at the noon
hour that all enjoyed to the utmost
and the ladies did their voting dur
ing the recess.
There were a number of very able
addresses given, J. M. Quackenbush,
county extension agent, gave a very
interesting talk on the work of the
extension department in the county
and its fine co-operation received
from the clubs of the county.
Rev. J. C. Lowson, pastor of the
First Methodist church of Platts
mouth, was heard in a very inspiring
talk on "The American Home" as
the basis of the life of the nation
in the rearing of the right kind of
men and women to preserve the Am
Mrs. Nelson Berger of Nehawka,
was presented and gave a most in
teresting history of the Cass County
Federation movement and presented
a scrap book of press notices, pictures
and other interesting data of the
club life of the county. Mrs. Berger
also introduced the past county
presidents who were in attendance.
Mrs. W. E. MInier, past state presi
dent was presented and gave a
glimpse of federation conventions of
the past years.
Mrs. Maude E. Nuquist, of York,
member of the state board of control,
gave a most interesting account of
the work of the board and of the Ne
braska state institutions.
Mrs. Walter Kieschel of Tecumseh,
state president and Mrs. C. R. Caley,
of Springfield, state vice-president,
also talked of the work of the state
federation and its relation to the
The election of officers resulted
in the naming of the following:
President Mrs. G. R. Eveland,
Vice-President Mrs. J. H. Kok
Secretary-Treasurer Mrs. John R.
Those attending the convention
from Plattsmouth were: Mrs. John
Woest, Mrs. William Baird, Mrs. J. F.
Wolff, Mrs. A. H. Duxbury, Mrs. L. S.
Devoe, Mrs. J. E. Wiles, Mrs. Glen
Vallery, Mrs. R. C. Jahrig, Mrs. Pete
Carr, Mrs. L. S. Devoe, Miss Alpha C
Peterson, county superintendent, Rev
and Mrs. J. C. Lowson.
BIRTH OF DAUGHTER
From Saturday's Darty
This morning at 9:10 a daughter
was born to Mr. and Mrs. Carl Graves
at the home here. The mother and
daughter are doing nicely and the
event has brought a great deal of
happiness to the members of the
family. The little one weighed 1
Entertains at a
Home Chapter Has Large Group of
Distinguished Guests and Mem
bers cf Nebraska Home
Friday evening the members of
Home Chapter No. 189, Eastern Star,
was entertained at a fried chicken
dinner for a-large group of distin
guished guests and the members of
the families of the Star members.
The banquet hall had been very
attractively arranged and made a
delightful setting for the pleasant
The committee in charge in ad
dition to the delicious and appetiz
ing dinner, had prepared a program
which was enjoyed to the utmost.
There was an unusually fine group
participating in the program and
which comprised numbers by the
Star members and their families.
A group of some fourteen of the
members ot the local bethel of Job's
Daughters gave several songs that
reflected the greatest credit upon
the talented young ladies.
Harlan, son of Mr. and Mrs. Her
man Hennings, gave a very fine
piano solo that added much to the
interest of" the program.
Mrs. Henry F. Nolting. . whose
piano-accordian numbers have bo
often delighted Plattsmouth audi
ences, gave a few selections.
Raymond C. Cook, past worthy
patron, and well known vocalist,
was heard in two fine numbers with
Mrs. R. O. Cole as the accompanist.
Robert and Elouise Cole were
heard in a piano duet of unusual
beauty and charm.
Mrs. Floyd Becker, worthy matron
of Home Chapter, presided over the
dinner and program.
The members of the visiting party
here included Mrs. Clara Bathen,
Mrs. Margaret McPherson, both past
grand worthy matrons, of Lincoln;
Mrs. Merial Smith, Omaha, associate
grand conductress; William Cochran,
associate grand patron and sister, of
Auburn; Mrs. J. R: Pierson, Auburn;
Mrs. Maloney, grand lecturer, Om
aha; Mrs. Campbell, grand Martha,
Omaha; Mrs. Cornell, grand Electa,
Lincoln; Mrs. Gertrude Laughlin,
district supervisor, of Grand Island.
There were forty-five residents of
the Nebraska Masonic Home here
also as guests of honor.
FLOAT LAID AWAY
From Saturday's rty
The float that has advertised the
King Korn Karnival on many occa
sions through this section of Nebras
ka in the past months, was officially
laid into dry dock today. Friday aft
ernoon W. A. Swatek, assisted by
George Conis, drove the float to Ne
braska City where it participated in
the parade of the Apple Festival. The
float is being stored at the O. K.
garage on Washington avenue.
ATTENDING HUSKER GAME
From Saturday's Dsily
Mrs. John Donelan is in Lincoln
today with her daughter and hus
band, Mr. and Mrs. Karl Brown of
Papillion. They are attending the
Nebraska-Indiana football game at
Memorial stadium this afternoon.
WILL VISIT GRANDDAUGHTER
Mrs. V. T. Am is to leave Mon
day for Edison, Nebraska, where she
will visfl at the home of Mr. and
Mrs. Walter Speece, the latter a
daughter, and also will enjoy meet
ing the new granddaughter that has
just arrived to share the joys of the
Power in Win
Fast Attack in First Moments of the
Game Give Visitors a 20 to- 7
Win Close Second Half
From Saturday's Daily
The Ashland high scliool football
team cf the 1938 edition is a team
that can be depended upon to give
any of the eastern Nebraska foot
ball squads some bad moments, as
they demonstrated last night at
Athletic park when they won from
the Platters, 20 to 7.
. The first score of Ashland came
within four minutes after Captain
Rehal planted the opening kickoff in
the Ashland territory. Harnsberger,
from his thirteen yard line raced to
his forty-seven and then on the fol
lowing play Atwood tore loose and
made a brilliant end run that car
ried the ball to the Plattsmouth ten
yard stripe. W. Robinson then tried
the Plattsmouth line for four yards,
being stopped by Rebal on the local
six yard stripe. Atwood picked up
three yards and then Weaver smash
ed through for the touchdown and
the conversion was good on a line
play for the seven points and the
lead in the game.
The set up for the Ashland score
came shortly after the ball was
placed in play on the kickoff by
Downing to Rebal, who fumbled and
recovered the ball. Reed tried the
Ashland line for two yards, but the
team was unable to make material
gains and Reed was forced to punt.
Ashland staged a fast return, but
was stopped by Steinkamp and
Minor. The Ashland team then un
corked a fast lateral from Robinson
to Atwood, netting them 27 yards.
This was followed by one of the
most brilliant runs of the game
when W. Robinson, was away around
the local end for 45 yards and a
touchdown, he also making good the
extra point. Thus the score at the
close of the first quarter was 14 to
0 for the visitors.
With the opening of the second
quarter the ball was put in play in
the Plattsmouth territory and Harns
berger passed to W. Robinson for a
twelve yard gain, the ball resting on
Plattsmouth's nine yard line. From
there Atwood scampered around the
Plattsmouth line and was over for
the touchdown, Ashland's third in
the game. The attempt of L. Robin
son to convert for the extra point
was not good as Bill Armstrong
charged in fast to break up the play.
The Plattsmouth warriors after
the opening quarter stiffened their
defense and showed much more fire
In the offensive, putting across their
lone touchdown of the game Just as
the half was closing. It was set up
as Reed fumbled and Ashland
brought the ball to the Plattsmouth
sixteen stripe, where Robinson fum
bled the pigskin and Joe York re
covered for the locals, the break that
paved the way for the scoring, aa
the ball was now on the Platters 39
yard line. Allan White picked up
four yards through the Ashland line
and then Rebal passed to Steinkamp
for a ten yard gain and Steinkamp
latereled to Warren Reed, who was
down the field on a twenty-five yard
race that carried him over for the
touchdown. The scoring plays cov
ered a sixty yard march into the
enemy territory. The conversion was
good and left the score at 20 to 7.
The defensive work of both teams
was much better in the second half
of the battle.
The Ashland team was threatening
n the closing part of the game, but
a penalty of fifteen yards checked
their advance and while they were
deep in Platter territory at the
close were unable to score, leaving
the final count 20 to 7.
There were a large number from
Ashland here with their team, the
group of enthusiastic followers filling
one section of the field.
Preceding the game, the local high
school band, under the direction of
David Fowler gave a short concert
and also paraded on the field at the
Rubber Stamps, large or small.
at right prices At the Journal.