Image provided by: University of Nebraska-Lincoln Libraries, Lincoln, NE
About The Plattsmouth journal. (Plattsmouth, Nebraska) 1901-current | View Entire Issue (Sept. 4, 1916)
PLATTSMOUTH, NEBRASKA, MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 4, 191C.
OF CASS COUNTY
WHO ARE HERE
Some Early Experiences of the Young
Family in the Early
From Saturday's Dally.
Anioni' the hale and hearty pioneers
of Cass f-ounty is Mr. David A. Youni
of Murray, who is spending the home
coming period in Plattsmouth with his
sisters. Mrs. Henry Boeck of Piatt. s
mouth and Mrs. M. A. Stafford, of
Clarinda, la., who came here for the
purpose of greeting her old friends
; rul lelations.
William Yourg, tlie father came to
the territory of Nebraska in 154 and
filed on a homestead three miles north
east of Murray and moved hi? fnn :ly
from Garwood, la., March 5. 1S"".
For a period the elder Young lived
in a tent, and in 18-")") built a caDin
of rough hewn logs for the reception
of his family. The Young home at
Glenwood was the land on which the
Institute for the Feeble Minded now
stands in tne southern portion oi
( den wood.
In 1h.V another log house was built
on the new home site which for a
number ot years vas the best count ry
home in ('a?.-, county. Part of that lo
house, is still standing on the farm and
its umbeis of white oak are as solid
Mrs. Henry Boeck. born Elizabeth
Young, was the eldest daughter and
.-he wns born in Nodaway count'. Mis
souri. David A. was born in Glen
wood and was four years old at the
time of the family's removal to Cass
county. Ellon Young, now Mrs. M. A.
Stafford of Clarinda. Ia., was also
Imrn at Glenwood and was one and
rule-half years old when the family
moved to Nebraska.
Oi course the county was then
fparsely settled with whites and the
Young family saw mere Indians than
they did of their own color.
Not long after the family had set
tled in their new hame two Indians
came one n:rht to the horse ard by
signs let it be krown that they wanteci
to be kept over night. As the season
was winter and bitter cold the Youngs
let them into the house. Mrs. Young
had just finished knitting a pair of
woolen stockings for some member of
the family and had hung them over
the fire place to dry. The next morn
ing when the Indians left they carried
with them the stockings which evi
dently had proved too great a temp
tation for their honesty.
About a year later two Indians vis
ited the Young home and then Mrs.
Win. Young thought she recognized
the pair as the same ones who had
stolen the stockings. She asked their,
point blank if they were not the ones
who had taken the stockings and they
both acted in such a confused manner
that it was thought they were really
the guilty ones.
One of the older brothers of the
family bought a pony from an Indian
for 35 cents. It developed into a
racer of the first class and the girls
had many a race over the hills near
their home and beat everything in
horse flesh in the neighborhood.
One day Mary Pollen, now the wife
of William Tavlor who lives south of
. Plattsmouth was riding the pony with
a party of other girls. When the
party reached the place where the
races were usually pulled off the pony
thought it was time to get to going
and started off at a fast clip. Miss
Pollen was thrown off and was laid
up for quite p. time.
There were many Indian scares but
none of them resulted seriously.
All members of the Young family
were industrious and Mrs. Henry
Boeck wove cloth from wool from
sheep that were sheared on the Young
The cloth was made into garments
that were worn by members of the
family. Mrs. Stafford has at her home
in Clarinda a comfort that was made
fifty years ago from pieces of cloth
that were woven on her father's farm.
The family home is now owned by
Mr. David A. Young. Mr. Young re
cently moved into Murray and the
homestead is now run by William R.
Young, his son.
3oth Mrs. Boeck and Mrs. Stafford
are fine specimens of womanhood and
time has dealt lightly with them both.
David A. Young is still active and in
perfect health and is likely to remain
long in the land which he has seen to
grow into the garden spot of this great
and well favored state.
Manv Friends Greet Him During His
Slay in Plattsmouth.
. One of the notable visitors to the
Home Coming festival is R. W.
Hyers, now a resident of Lincoln, Neb.
Mr. Hyers stopped off in Plattsmouth
to visit old friends and neighbors on
his way home from the G. A. R. Na
tional Encampment at Kansas City.
From 1876 to 1882 Mr. Hyers was
sheriff of Cass county and made one
of the most efficient officials this com
munity ever had. He came to Cass
county in 1870 .iind bought a farm six
miles southwest of Weeping Water.
He devoted his time to farming until
1876 when he was elected to the office
He succeeded the late M. B. Cutler
who before being elected to the posi
tion was for many years a grain
dealer in Plattsmouth. Mr. Hyers
moved his family to Plattsmouth in
1877 and remained until 1889 when
he received the appointment as warden
of the state penitentiary at Lincoln.
In 1884 while a resident of Cass
countv he was elected a state senator
and served one term. He was one of
the state game wardens during the
administration of Governor Aldrich.
At the present time Mr. Hyers is
keeper of the Lancaster county jail.
Mr. liver's son, Gus A. Hyers is now
serving his second term as sheriff of
Lancaster county and is a candidate
for re-election to a third term with
good prospects of succeeding himself
.Mr. Hyers, Sr., has many friends in
Plattsmouth and Cass county and they
were delighted to grasp his hand and
wish him all kinds of good fortune.
A Former Plattsmouth Girl Wins a
Pair of Trousers.
The person to come the greatest
distance for the Home Coming festival
was Mrs. W. E. Maxon, daughter of
Mr. and Mrs. Homer McKay of this
Mrs. Maxon, having made up her
mind to come home took a steamer at
Colon, Panama for New York and
came thence by rail to Plattsmouth
and she is now having. the time of her
life among old friends and with her
Mr. Maxon is a civil engineer in
government service in the Canal Zone
and has been engaged there ever since
the United States took charge of the
zone. The Maxons have lived at Ancon
most of the time and now like that
Shortly after her arrival home Mrs.
Maxon learned that C. E. Wescott's
ons had offered a prize to the per
son paying the largest sum for trans
portation back to Home Coming week.
She called yesterday at the Wescott
store and after stating her travel
record it was decided that she was en
titled to the first prize a pair of
Dutchess trousers. Mrs. Maxon hes
itated about accepting the prize at
first but finally decided to take them
and it is a good bet that Mr. Maxon's
stalwart form will a little later on
be adorned at least in part by the
Home Coming premium for the long
distance trip home.
Returned to His Former Home in
Professor E. L. Rouse, dean of the
Peru State Normal school and former
superintendent of Plattsmouth schools
has been visiting his many friends
and admirers in this city during Home
Coming week. .
- Professor Rouse endeared himself to
a large circle of both young and older
people during his administration of
the public schools at this place.
He made an extra effort to come
here for the festival. He wished to
see his old pupils and he marched in
the school parade on Friday. His gen
ial "hello" was heard up and down
'Main street as he greeted former
friends and he was the recipient of
many congratulations on his success
as a teacher and friend to the young
people with whom he has been associ
ated both here and elsewhere.
FESTIVAL NEWS NOTES.
Gust Brandeen, a successful mer
chant of Waverly, accompanied by his
wife, was a visitor to the Home Com
ing festivities. Mr. Brandeen lived in
Plattsmouth a number of years before
engaging in business for himself. He
was with C. E. Wescott & Son and
other houses here and he still re
mains the astute and handsome blonde
individual he has always been
Charles D. Cummins is one of the
familiar faces seen during the week
He is the son of the late J. C. Cum
mins, formerly in the lumber business
in Plattsmouth, and things have pros
pered with him.
Frank Hager an old timer and for
mer Burlington engineer was here
with his wife during the festival. His
wife is a daughter of Mrs. William
Herold and the couple passed an en
joyable visit in their old home. They
now live in Lincoln.
A book containing the list of Cass
county taxes for the year 1857 is on
exhibition in one of the show win
dows at C. E. Wescott's Sons' store
It contains the names of many persons
whose names are still familiar to those
of the present generation.
A Plattsmouth Pioneer Here From
California for Home Com
Among the pioneers visiting old
friends in Platsmouth is Mr. Morgan
Waybright of Los Angeles, Calif. Mr.
Waybright landed across the river
from Plattsmouth from the steamer
Waverly which brough him up the
river from St. Louis, November 10,
The water on the Nebraska side of
the river was too shallow for a land
ing so the boat put up on the east bank
of the river and the- ferry boat brought
them to the Nebraska side. Mr. Way
bright was from Virginia and he came
to Plattsmouth because he had friends
here, the Snyder family of pioneer
Mr. aybright farmer for a while
after his arrival and then came into
Plattsmouth and for a number of
years ran a dray to the steamboats
and the railroad when it was built.
In 1873 he went to work for the Bur
lington and in various capacities re
mained with the company until 1904
when he quit and moved to California
where he has made his home ever
He is visiting with County Judge
Beeson and . will remain at least a
couple of weeks longer.
He is surprised and gratified at
the vast improvement in Plattsmouth
and says it makes him rather home
sick to get back to the scenes of hie
The Jury Deliberates in a Hazel
Mrs. Magdelena Vallery, widow of
the late Jacob Vallery, Jr., who died
here in 1906, is the oldest pioneer of
Plattsmouth and Cass county. She
with her husband was one of the five
families that came here from Glen
wood, la., late in the fall of 1833.
Mr. Vallery, who was a man of
some means bought the interest of
William Garrison in a general store,
the first in Plattsmouth that had bc.r.
conducted by Slaughter & Garri
son. It was a two story log house,
of eight rooms and the Slaughter and
Vallery families both kept house in it
besides providing temporary hemes
for new comers until they had found
Mrs. Vallery is a bright and intel
ligent woman of 83 years, and still
retains all of her faculties unimpaired.
She remembers that the first law
yer in Plattsmouth was Joseph Brown,
who moved here from Glenwood in
1855. He used one of the rooms in
the Slaughter and Vallery building
for an office and home.
The late Hon. T. M. Marquette
who afterwards became general toun-
3l for the Burlington railroad, came to
the Vallery home in 1854 and lhed
with the family for seme time.
In 1856 the Vallery rs built a home
on Third stieet just north of the Per
kins hotel, and shortly after that Mr.
Vallery loaned Marquette money to
buy a piece of ground across the street
from their home and just north of the
Plattsmouth hotel. He build a small
frame office on the lot and for a num
ber of years practiced his profession
and roomed in the single room which
comprised the building.
Mrs. Vallery remembers the first
law suit tried in Plattsmouth. She is
certain the case was a civil one and
was tried in a little one-room frame
school building that stood just west
of the present First Methodist church
on Main street.
. It occurred in 1854 and the room
was so small that after the argu
ments had been made and the Judge
charged tho jury that body retired to
the privacy of a hazel nut bush patch
on the side of the hill near the school
house to deliberate on their verdict.
Miss Mollie Slaughter, daughter of
Vallery 's partner was the first white
girl born in Plattsmouth and Miss
Lottie E. Vallery, now Mrs. F. E.
White of Omaha wa the second girl
born here. Mrs. White is now in
Plattsmouth for Home Coming week
and is visiting with her mother, Mrs.
Vallery and with Mrs. Minor, a sister
and also Mrs. Will Streight and .irs.
Dr. Livingston, other sisters.
Mis. Vallery as a rule has excellent
health but during the recent heated
term became indisposed DUt is now
feeling much better.
Jacob Vallery was an active man
in the early days and among otl er
enterprises built with the late Conrad
Heisel, father of George Heisel, the
first Hour mill in Plattsmouth or Cass
county. It stood on the site of the
present Heisel mill and burned dov.n
and was replaced by the present mill
owned by George Heisel.
Helps Make the FJag for a Nebraska
Company in the Civil
Mrs. J. E. Clement, an estimable
lady residing in Plattsmouth since
1858, remembers a number of inter
esting incidents of the early times.
Mrs. Clement was a young girl
when her father and mother, Mr. and
Mrs. John Urwin, arrived in Platts
mouth. She remembers the principal
stores then in business here. They
were, Stroud and Anderson, E. G.
Dovey and Tootle andHanna. Jacob
Vallery afterward bought into the
Stroud and Anderson firm.
In 1862, Jane Urwin was married
to J. E. Clement, and the couple lived
together until Mr. Clement's death in
1874. Mr. Clement was tax assessor
for Cass county for a time, and was
a man greatly esteemed in the com
In 1861, when the First Nebraska
regiment was formed in the territory,
Plattsmouth and Cass county fur
nished one of the companies. Mrs.
Clement, Mrs. J. D. Simpson, Mrs.
Major McCord, Miss Abbie Buck and
Mrs. Klepser formed the circle of
ladies who made the battle flag the
Plattsmouth company carried through
out the civil war. Mrs. Clement still
retains some of the pieces that were
cut in shaping the glorious emblem
of liberty, and she cherishes the relics
Mrs. Clement tells of an early inci
dent which occurred not long after
she was married. Indians wandered
through the white settlements begging
and stealing what they could. One
day, two of them came to Mrs. Clem
ent's door and asked for something to
eat. She was just preparing to bake
bread, and she picked up the batch
of dough and showed it to the In
dians, telling them to come back in
the afternoon. They came all right,
and were furnished a first class lunch,
which they thoroughly enjoyed.-
Mr. John Urwin, Mrs. Clement's
father, was the first man buried in
the Plattsmouth cemetery.
Mrs. Clement still retains good
health and spirits and takes a lively
interest in all things that appertains
to Plattsmouth's welfare.
John D. Tutt Recalls an Incident of
the Cass County Claim Club.
John D. Tutt, one of the well known
pioneers of Plattsmouth came here
here from Glenwood, la., in the spring
of 1855. He first engaged in sur
veying land and town sites, the firm
being Bixby & Tutt. After two years
in this work Mr. Tutt went into mer
chandising with the firm of Stonder &
Anderson whose store was located on
the corner of Sixth and Main streets
where the Coates Block now stands.
After one year with that firm Tutt
moved over to Iowa in 1859 and built
a flour mill at Pacific Junction. He
operated the mill until 1862 when he
sold out and followed freighting until
1866 when he returned to Plattsmouth
and took a position with Tootle and
Hanna until he quit to go into busi
ness for himself.
Mr. Tutt saw many stirring in
cidents in the early days. There was
a claim club in Cass county late in the
50's and it pulled off a number of
stunts that were not according to law
but was the result of the way the
members figured out things for their
During 1859, four men, a man
named Johnson and his son, and one
known as Kelley and a son, all known
as claim jumpers, mysteriously dis
appeared from Cass county and were
never afterwards heard of. The sup
position is that they were shot and
their bodies thrown in the river.
It appeared that numbers of the
claim club would pick out a quarter
section and preempt it. Afterwards
by some means they would take pos
session of an adjoining 160 acres and
hold both. Johnson and his son formed
one such claim and Kelley and his son
another one. It was shortly after
wards that all four were missed and
'they were never afterwards found.
Johnson's widow pressed a claim for
the 1C0 taken by her husband and her
claim was sustained by the general
It was thought the only persons who
knew what became of the men were
members of the claim club and they
Mr. Tutt is still in good health
and resides in Plattsmouth where he
expects to pass the remainder of a
long, useful career.
He has many friends in the com
munity and is happy and contented.
Mr. C. E. Wescott and Wife Here for
the Home Coming Week.
Mr. C. E. Wescott, wife and grand
son are in Plattsmouth from their
home in Los Angeles, Calif., for the
home Coming festival. Mr. Wescott
is in prime health and speaks in glow
ing terms of his home in the golden
west although he still has an exceed
ingly warm place in his heart for
He talked yesterday of his early
struggles at this place. He came here
in 1879 from La Porte, Ind.
Before fixing upon Plattsmouth as
a place of residence he visited Fre
mont, Grand Island, Hastings, and
Kearney and after looking them all
over decided to cast his lot here.
He opened a store in April 1879 in
a small room on Main street near
Third street. Soon afterwards he
moved into a larger room on Main
street near Fourth. A fire in 1880
wiped out his entire stock in trade and
things looked dark for a while for
besides having a light insurance he
was unable for quite a while to collect
all of it.
All details were finally adjusted and
soon afterwards he bought the pres
ent location of the C. E. Wescott's
Sons store and resumed trade. When
the Wescott family first came here
Clif was about five years old and Hilt
less than a year old.
Plattsmouth at that time was the
only trading point in Cass county of
any consequence and business in all
lines was good. Mr. Wescott says
that land which now sells for $200
per acre could then be had for $25
and a great deal of it changed hands
and went into the ownership of per
The twn was a great market place
and after he had often counted more
than fifty loads of grain in a day
coming into town. There were from
six to eight grain buyers here and
money was in great abundance. The
Wescott business grew steadily. In
1894 Clif, having finished school, was
taken into the firm and in 1901 Hilt
was also made a partner and in 1916
the senior Wescott retired from busi
From 1906 to 1916 the firm has be;n
known as C. E. Wescott's Sons and
its growth and success has ben con
tinuo" and steady.
Another son, Earl, lives in Los An
geles, and it is his son aged 3 year.-,
that accompanied his grand parents
to Plattsmouth to get acquainted with
his Nebraska relatives. He is a bright
boy and has the Wescott characteris
tics of easy manners and kindly dis
position. The elder Wescotts will
visit their two sons in this city for a
time after which they will take a trip
east and then return to their home in
A Resident of Cass County Since 1855
and Still Hale and Hearty.
Just south of the city limits of
Plattsmouth, on the brow of a beauti
ful hill, stands a fine home occupied
and Owned by Captain Isaac Wiles.
Captain Wiles came to Cass county in
the spring of 1855 and bought 320
acres of land, the same that he now
occupies from Lafayette Nuckolls, pay
ing for the same $1,050, in gold.
Captain Wiles has had an import
ant and useful career in the growth
and development of Nebraska.
He was captain of Company H of
the second Nebraska regiment which
was organized during the civil war
times for protection against Indians
and rebel bushwhackers. The regi
ment was organized in the fall of 1862
as a nine months' regiment and served
about one year before being mustered
out of service. During a greater part
of the time it was attached to General
Sully's command and it participated
in that General's campaigns against
the hostile Indians in Western Ne
braska and South Dakota. At the bat
tle of White Stone Hill in Dakota in
September, 1863, casualties in the sec
ond Nebraska, were seven men killed,
fourteen wounded and ten missing.
The enemy were composed of the up
per and lower bands of Yanktonai
Sioux, the Black Feet Sioux and the
Brule. San-Arc and Cathead bands of
Sioux, numbering about 2.000 war
riors, under the command of the cele
brated Yonktonai chief, Two Bears,
who, with his forces, was completely
routed. In their flight the Indians
abandoned their tents, clothing cook
ing utensils and valuables of all kinds,
even leaving behind many of their
About the first of June, 1864 two
horses were stolen from Captain
Wiles' place and one from John Dry
der of Cass county. The thieves were
followed as soon as the loss was dis
covered. It seems the theives quar
reled about the division of the plunder.
One of them gave the other two away.
The informer was taken in charge and
on his information the other two were
followed and found hidden in a loft
at Mullen's ranch on the divide south
of South Bend. They were taken into
custody and brought back to Eight
In the men's trial which took place
before a self-constituted court there
was no doubt or denial of the men's
guilt. A plea was offered in behalf
of the one who had given the other
two away, but as it was supposed that
his action was caused by a desire for
revenge and for no moral motive all
three were convicted and hung up to
Captain Wiles was a member of the
lower house of the Nebraska legis
lature when Nebraska was admitted
as a state in 1867. It was he who in-
troducted the bill for the adoption of
a design for the great seal of the
state, and he was responsible to a
great extent for the design itself.
The Captain's home is one of the
most sightly and valuable in Nebraska.
On it is a living spring of water, which
was used by the Indians as a medi
cine spring. It is highly charged with
medicinal properties and it was used
by the medicine men in helping to ef
fect their cures.
Captain Wiles was personally ac
quainted with many of the old time
men who governed Nebraska and was
in the legislature and voted for
Thomas W. Tifton and John M. Hager,
first United States senators from Ne
braska. Although now past eighty years of
age he is as active as a man of many
less years. His mind is as active as
that of many men of fifty and he bids
fair to grace this favored state many
more years with his valued presence.
Relates a Story of a Military Salute
to St. Joe, Missouri.
Joseph W. Johnson, who came to
Plattsmouth April 17th, 1857, has had
an active and eventful career. When
he arived, Plattsmouth was begin
ning to assume the proportions of a
frontier town. He recollects that a
man named Harper carried on a gen
eral merchandise business, and that
Joe Schlater, the cashier of the First
National bank, had a small jewelry
store on Main street. A man named
Billings also operated a general store,
.and Joe Buttery and Dr. Donelan also
maintained small busineses.
Shortly after his arrival Johnson lo
cated on 160 acres west of Eight Mile
Grove, built a shanty on the place in
1857. Three other young men located
homesteade near him at . the same
time, and frequently, in bad weather
made their home in the same shack.
There was a deep pool of water in
ffront of Johnson's place, and one cold
night, when in need of a pail of fresh
water, the four men drew straws to
vsee who should go after it. It fell to
Joe Cox, and he started out in the
dark. He mistook the distance and
walked into the water over his head.
His cries brought the others out and
he was rescued, a cold and shivering
After proving up on his claim John
son came back to Plattsmouth and
looked for work which he could not
find. The winter of 1856-7 was the
most bitter and distressful of which
there is any record in Nebraska. Deer
and antelope would cut through the
deep, snow and could not get out. They
died by the dozens. The cattle and
stock of the white settlers starved for
lack of food, and everyone suffered
severely. A small herd of cattle per
ished south of town in -what was
known as Happy Hollow, a place be
tween the Burlington station and the
railroad bridge. A band of thirty In
dians located it and they made a camp
at the place and lived all winter on
the carcases of the dead animals.
Mr. Job-son went to the civil war
with Con A of the Nebraska
First regiment. The soldiers took pas
sage in a steamboat at Omaha for
Jefferson Barracks, Mo. The troops
were under command of the late Gen
eral John M. Thayer, then colonel of
the regiment. As the boat neared St.
Joe the colonel thought it would be a
good thing to fire a salute to the Mis
souri town. He inquired among hi
men to find one who could load and
fire off on'j ol the two cannons the
icgiment had. He could find no one
able to do it, and finally, ws-.lking i.p
to Johnson said to him: "Joe, d you
J-cnow how to fire a cannon? It will !
.a good thing to let these people ..i
St. Joe know what we are here for,
and I would like to fire a salute."
Johnson told Colonel Thayer that a
Company A man named Jack McDon
ald comIu do it.
McDonald was brought to the col
onel, and preparations were made to
fire the salute as the boat cam" near
to the town. The gun was leaded and
pointed to the west, toward the Kan
sas side of the river as the boat boie
southward. It is always customary
when making a river landinir to point
the stern of the beat up the river. A
the boat neared the St. Joe landing
the pilot swervi.l her s.ro::C. and
when Colonel Th:-. ar gave h.- oide
to fire, the boat was hj-ulo! u;
Ptreem. McDonald !-t go the g'in an 1
amid the roar fol .'vlng, the d j.-t and
c.T.d on the St. J -e levee va, y.-en
to rise, and th? jeople on the lev--were
running for shelter.
"My God, man. what do yo 1 moiiii
by firing at tV se peope?" sai l
Colonel Thayer t; McDonal-V "Yon
tcld me to fire, :.nd I firec'." replied
McDonald. "I thought maybe you
wanted to shoot oC.me of tho.. Mi
iouri coperheads." The colonel had
not taken into account the r.utho 1
pursued by the pilot in making hi.
landing, and had not noticed the boat
turning its head to the north.
After four years' service in tho
civil war Johnson came back to Platts
mouth, and was soon drafted into the
service of the town as a special police
man. After that he was city mar
shal for a number of years, and was
elected sheriff of Cass county, in
which office he served three terms.
altogether six years. He was then
elected mayor for four yearc, and then
served one term as county judge. In
all his public life Mr. Johnson has
uniformily maintained the respect and
good will of his fellow citizens. He
is 82 years old and is at this time an
up-standing man who mifht easily be
taken for one of at least ten years
JACK McDANIEL, OLD-TIMER.
Among the very early residents of
Plattsmouth is. John McDaniel, com
monly known as "Jack" McDaniel-..
He came here in 1855 and has made
this city his home ever since. He is
still as strong and sturdy as one of
the oaks that crowns Wintersteen hill
and be enjoys the best of health.
In the early days he was a steam
boat man, and for a time saw service
on Peter A. Sarphy's ferry boat, the
He tells of an excursion up the river
from Tlattsmouth on July 4th, 1861
when the boat was loaded with a
merry crowd of dancers and others
bent on having a god time. Accord
ing to Jack's account the good time
was continuous from the time the
boat loosed its moorings in the morn
ing until the return late that night.
McDaniel says the Survivor no longer
survives but lies buried in the sand
just east of the Burlington tracks op
posite the grain elevator.
JAMES A. WALKER, PIONEER.
One of the most widely known and
best liked pioneers of Cass county is
James A. Walker, who lives near Mur
ray in Rock Bluff precinct. He came
to Rock Bluff precinct in 1856 and
has lived within its borders ever since.
He moved from the vilage of Rock
Bluff early in the 60's to his present
home and has been engaged in farm
ing until a short time ago.
He has never varied in his efforts
in the production of corn, hogs and
cattle and is one of the solid and pros
perous men jn the community.
With his wife and daughter, Mar
garet Ann he lives a contented life
and bears the good will and respect
of all his neighbors. A daughter,
Elizabeth is married to a physician of
Powered by Open ONI